Urology Expert Forum
Swollen testicle & scrotum, pain and discomfort

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I had a partial nephrectomy about six weeks ago.  About a week and a half after the surgery, my scrotum swelled to the size of a grapefruit and my testicles swelled, too, with the right one swelling to 2-3 times the size of the left and also developing what I can only describe as knobs and it was EXTREMELY painful if anything touched the area.  My urologist thought it might be an infection and placed me on an additional course of antibiotics beyond what I was on post-surgery.  I also iced down the area regularly.  The swelling went down and the "knobiness" went away completely but the right testicle is still slightly swollen and hard whereas the left is more pliant.  There is no real pain now but the area is sensitive.  The scrotum is still stretched out, however, though not swollen, but I have an incredible excess of scrotal skin.  In addition, immediately after orgasm, I have a feeling of mild nausea as if I had been struck in the groin lightly.

Any ideas?  Things have gotten much better but I've been at the present point for about three weeks with no change.
I am only guessing, but I wonder if some blood and tissue fluids from the area of surgery drained down your scrotum and have been slowly reabsorbing. This type of swelling usually is not very tender. Infections involving both sides are very uncommon.
Scrotal swelling due to infection and trauma usually take some time to resolve so do not let the time element concern you. I am pleased for  you that  things are getting better,
S.A.Liroff, M.D

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.