Urology Expert Forum
Symptoms experiencing with a stent in place

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I was diagnosed on July 7th with a kidney stone 1cm.  The urologist operated on July 8th but because the stone was wedged and there was considerable inflamation (inflammation) he put a stent in and said it would have to be there for about four weeks.  He would then go back in, remove the stent and laser the stone.  It is now July 11th and with the stent in I find that when I stand or walk I experience more pain than sitting or laying down and I also feel the need to urinate only to find thatI discharge very little.  In addition when I do urinate it varies from running fairly clear to seeing some redness in the urine (obviously blood).  My question is;  Is what I am experiencing normal and will I continue to have the pain and see occasional blood discolouration of my urine until the stent is removed and the stone elimintaed with laser surgery?

Sincerely,

David Lowater
Without examination, it is difficult to say that your symptoms are "normal" or not.  It is certainly possible given the scenario that you described.  The procedure of placing the stent as well as the stone itself can lead to continued discomfort and hematuria.  It is also possible that discoloration can continue until the stone is eliminated.  

Regarding the discomfort, you may want to discuss with your urologist whether the stend is causing the symptoms.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
1 Comment
0