Urology Expert Forum
T2 bright cyst

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

T2 bright cyst

I had an MRI done for the lumbar region of my back.  On the report the radiologist noted: "an approximately 10 mm in diameter T2 bright cyst within the lower pole of the left kidney."  I saw my primary care Dr. and she referred me to get an ultrasound - the technician could hardley find it and wondered if my MRI was read by a doctor and if maybe he was getting it confused with a "pyramid"? - a structure of the kidney, I guess. (I have the MRI film and the white spot shows up very clearly) Anyway, with some help from another technician she seemed to locate it.  Needless to say, the Ultrasound tech did not inspire confidence in me.  Is this kind of cyst common? Is there further testing that should be done to determine exactly what it is and follow up to see if it grows?  I am a healthy 38 year old female with one child.  Thank you for your time and consideration.
Jamie
Kidney cysts are relative common in the population, and the vast majority are benign.  

Obtaining another radiology read of the MRI can be considered.  Further imaging can be considered with a CT scan, or repeating the ultrasound (as the quality of this test is operator dependent).

This option can be discussed with your personal physician, or with consultation with a urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_