Urology Expert Forum
Tender Testicle

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Tender Testicle

I have been experiencing a swollen/tender feeling at the top of my left testicle and in my lower abdomen on and off for about 5 months.  I am 35 yrs old.

In June I had prostatitis (diagnosed through a urine test and a prostate massage and subsequent fluid test). I also had symptoms of tenderness on the top of the left testicle (area of the epididymitis) and lower abdomin (abdomen) - doctor said this was epididymitis. I was given 30 days of Cipro. After 10 days symptoms of both the prostatitis and epididymitis were gone. I continued to take the medication. During the last 7 days of antibiotics the tenderness in my left testicle and lower abdomen returned.

I waited 3 weeks and went back to the doctor. Upon doing a self exam, my testicle felt normal except that it was tender near the top and the
To answer your questions:
1) A urine test may show white blood cells and bacteria in association with epididymitis.  However, this doesn't happen in 100% percent of cases.

2) Typically, testicular cancer presents in a painless lump - but they may not be necessarily palpable in all cases.  I would suggest a scrotal ultrasound if this is suspected.

3) It is certainly possible that it may take some months before the associated swelling completely heals from the epididymitis.

4) It is possible that exercising can exacerbate tenderness of scrotal conditions.

5) Most cases of spermatoceles are asymptommatic.  However, if they enlarge, it can cause symptoms and tenderness.

6) If an ultrasound hasn't already been performed, this is what I would suggest to do next.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
A related discussion, Enlarged Prostrate - age 46- Cancer? was started.