Urology Community
Teratozoospermia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Teratozoospermia

My husband has been diagnosed with 30% abnormal sperm (teratozoospermia). His sperm count and other tests were all normal.  We're married for two years now and still trying to have a baby. Has anyone experienced this problem? Help!
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi

Teratozoospermia is when the shape of the sperms is abnormal. The percentage of abnormal sperms varies depending upon the criteria used by labs to label a sperm as abnormal.
A normal semen should have should have  >30% normal forms ( 100 cells evaluated). (WHO criteria; Ref: http://www.umc.sunysb.edu/urology/male_infertility/SEMEN_ANALYSIS.html)

Another definition states that at least 70% of the sperm have normal shape and structure. (Ref :http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/guide/semen-analysis?page=2)

Using both the definitions, semen morphology for your husband is towards the normal range.

You should consult your doctor and find out what he says about the semen analysis?

In the meanwhile, your husband can adopt a healthy lifestyle, balanced diet, stop smoking and try to avoid hot environment.

Take care and do write in after your consultation with your doctor.

Regards

Blank
634880_tn?1236402097
Thanks Doc!

My Ob told us the same thing yesterday. Abnormal results were insignificant. I guess there's still hope! Now I can continue my fertility workup with one less thing to worry about. Thank God!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank