Urology Expert Forum
Testicle Twisting/Rotating Problem
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Testicle Twisting/Rotating Problem

In the last few years, I have experienced this problem perhaps a half dozen times.  It seems to occur when I wake up in the morning.

The problem, specifically, is that my right testicle twists, or rotates, in the scrotum.  I don't know which word is best to describe the movement, and I hope I can clear it up this way:

A testicle in "normal" position in the scrotum is essentially vertical, or very close to it, with a "top" or "north end" and a "bottom" or "south end".  What happens to my testicle is that it rotates so that the top/north end is on inside of the scrotum.

I'm having a hard time putting it into words, but if you compare the positions to the hands on a clock, I would say that "11" on a clock would be where the top of the testicle normally appears.  In the case of this rotation, the top of the testicle is closer to the "6" on a clock and the bottom of my testicle has moved up to around the "1" on a clock (when it should normally be at "5" or "6").

It's been bad enough to the point where I don't know which part of my testicle is the top and which is the bottom.  It also seriously frightens me and is very unsettling to say the least.

I am afraid that this could lead to testicular torsion or some other serious medical condition.  My understanding is that there are cords and other types of things in there that could be getting wrapped up or damaged in this process.

What can I do to prevent this from happening, and why is it happening?  I wear and sleep in boxers -- should I sleep in briefs to provide less room for the testicles to move around?  As I said, this has happened at least 6 times in the last 2 years, and it seems it always occurs when I get up in the morning.

Do I need to see a urologist?