Urology Community
Testicle attached to scrotum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Testicle attached to scrotum

I had a Right Inguinal hernia repair and exploration of right scrotum on Christmas day, it was first suspected to be a contorted testicle. the swelling has gone down enough now to notice for sure that the right testicle is attached to the scrotum in a high and forward position. sex is now completely out of the question because it is being crushed every time i thrust, my partner and i have tried every position we know and 80% of them result in it being in the way. What can be done to release it? I would rather be without it than have an appalling sex life if thats the only way to go. It's like being kneed in the nuts every time i thrust. I am 34 and very fit, was back at work within 8 days rather than the 8 weeks the doctor wanted to sign me off for.

I first experienced something simmilar to what you have when I had surgery to have a hematoma of the left hemiscrotum removed. After things seemed like it had healed, I had a constant problem with the testicle being fixed in the scrotum. I worked as a heavy duty mechanic and during movement often had a sensation of someone squeezing that area.
About a year later I went for a review with a urologist and compalined about the problem. He told me that if he was to do surgery on it I had the risk of loosing the testicle.
About 3 weeks later I ended up with a major infection of the left testicle and underwent surgery to have it removed.

In 2006 I ended up with an inguinal incarcerated hernia on the right side. Speaking with the surgeon prior to the surgery, he told me that I had to be prepaired for the chance of the right remaining testicle being involved. I strongly let him know that I did not want to have surgery if it posed a risk to my remaining testicle and I did not sign a conscent.
Because the hernia had become life threatening he told me that he would have a urologist present. When I woke up, I was told that they had saved the testicle.

After the surgery which was repaired using mesh,  the right remaining testicle seems to sit highly fixed in the scrotum. At times it looks like I don't have any testicles. The problem that I again have now is that at times the testicle gets trapped and it causes pain. I will live with it the way it is because I was told that it was a difficult repair and that a hernia might develope again.

My advice is to try and live with it. If it really becomes a severe problem with pain, then you would have to consider another surgery that may not give you the wanted result either. Surgery does pose the risk of loosing the testicle. Some times when pain is severe it is the only option. Even with the removal of one testicle, like in my case with the left, I at times experience pain as if it is still there. Most of the time things are OK and life with only one testicle is not as bad as one may think. You can function just fine with only one testicle. In my case I use testosterone injections due to low levels. This most likely is due to the fact that my right testicle did not descend untill I was about 13.

I hope that you will not end up loosing a testicle, but if it was to happen there is a forum about orchiectomies and the men that have experienced it.

All the best,

Ron
Thankyou for you answer, I feel for you, and thankyou for your support.

I noticed I missed out the part where I told the urologist there was no way I would let them attach the testicle to the scrotum because I knew 2 people who had it done and they complained it was fixed in the wrong place.

You can imagine how mad I was to find they had done it anyway.

have been to the hospital again about it, they have done every thing to talk me out of it, due to chances of it reattaching afterwards due to the cutting needed to release it.
1, I can only keep telling them how they never had my permission to do it in the first place.
2, even if they had my permission, I'd still be back because the have put it right in the way ( clearly they forgot what this stuff is used for )
3, I and my partner wont put up with a CR*P sex life because a surgeon did something they wern't allowed to do.

The consultant says the NHS wont do a reversal on this kind of surgery. I have told him the only chance of avoiding me sueing the hospital is to put the testical back to where it came from and most certainly unattached. Failing that then he can pay up cash compensation for malpractice and be ordered by courts to do the reversal.

I am now waiting to hear the hospitals reply
You have to keep in mind that if you go through surgery to have the testicle freed, there is a high chance that you can loose the testicle due to several reasons.
Skill of the surgeon, urologist, bleeding hematoma and infection.

If you are prepared for the possibility of loosing the testicle, by all means try it. It is highly anoying to having the testicle pinched because it no longer moves freely.

You might also have a urologist who is unwilling to preform surgery just to safe their *** if I can be that bold.

With my urological problems I was under the impression that the urologist would perform surgery if all other trials had not worked out. I'm very disappointed that he id not tell me up front that a surgical repair was out of the question. I had a much better patient to doctor relationship with the urologist who referred me to this one. He sent me there because this man is a urologist who specializes in reconstruction.

I remember a previous family doctor telling me that the skill of the surgeon plays a very big part. Because I was in so much pain with the infected testicle that I asked him to have me transferred to a hospital in a smaller city. I even told him that he had his butcher's license and asked if he could remove it. His reply to me was that most farmers in a small town are used to castrating cattle. Is that what I wanted, or did I want the best chance possible.

My experience has been that the so called specialist think very high of themselves and are easily offended. In that case they will discharge you from their practice and then you are left with no help at all.

I'm now stuck with a suprapubic catheter, most likely for the rest of my life. It was to be a temporary solution. I have contacted the urlogist again about  other options, but my letter has been ignored. It is aspecially disappointing since the last time that my wife and I consulted with him, I told him that I would consider things. If I felt like an alternative surgery would it be OK for me to approach him about it. He told me yes, but has shown that he is not wanting to deal with me by ignoring my letter.
All I got left now is for my family doctor to refer me to a fresh urologist who does not know about my case. The problem is that I will have to travel a long distance to do so. I canno longer drive so my wife and family would have to travel with me. Than there is the problem that there will be multiple appointments to come up with a care plan.

I put very little faith in the so called specialists. The general practioners have a much more difficult task being a mediator between the patient and specialist. I admire the GP's for doing this often thankless task.

God bless,

Ron
I've had a surgery called hydroceletomy 2 weeks ago. i still have a swelling of the testicle as compared to the other one, so it might be it, but I i fear that it is somehow attached to the side of my scrotum. When I tried masturbation i felt that i couldn't perform it the usual way, i'd hit the ball sitting high with my hand. I really hope its not attached and will get better after the swelling is gone, but anyway i wanted to ask you how did you do yourself? Did you get treatment for that? what was it? Thanks, Jack.