Urology Community
Testicular Atrophy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Testicular Atrophy

For a few years now (like 4 1/2) my left testicle has hung significantly lower than my right.  I have also experienced some testicular atrophy in my left testicle that changes.  Sometimes it seems smaller tan others and at times almost the same size as my right testicle.  Its been about the same with pain. Most of the time no pain, or a very very low (1/10) feeling of discomfort. At other times it just aches. Occasionally this becomes pretty bad, most of the time it just moderate and it will only last for a few days. On these occasions I notice that my epididymis is swollen as well. This  only on my left testicle. My right one is normal size with no pain, no tenderness or swelling. recently I read about epididymitis and doctors prescribing anti-inflammatories so I began taking ibuprofen (about 200-400 milligrams a day for the past month) and the swelling in my epididymis is gone and there is no pain. My left testicle is not tender or sensitive to pain and feels hard and smooth like my right.  There are no lumps or anything else unusual but my left testicle still hangs quite a bit lower than my right and is still atrophic although the size does fluctuate.  Onsome days its closer to normal size, other days it might be half the size of my right testicle.  Any ideas?  I plan on seeing a urologist soon but I want to have an idea of what to expect.  If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this please let me know.  Also as a point of interest, I hurt my back about 4 years ago, pulling my bottom two vertebrae out of alignment. This pinched my left sciatic nerve and caused my left gluteal muscles to bunch up. I had to go to the chiropractor for three months straight. Now I usually stop in about every 6 months to be adjusted. I don't really have a problem with it anymore. There is still some pain but it doesn't really affect my mobility. I stretch, lift weights, run, etc. I'm fairly muscular and my wife is 5 months pregnant. There are no infertility issues.  But do you think my back problem could have something to do with it? I never went to the doctor or got checked for hernias.
    How are you? Testicular atrophy is a condition where there is reduction in the size of the normal testis and it is a irreversible situation. But in your case the size of the testis as well as pain keep on fluctuating and it also affects the epididymis, so this could not be testicular atrophy. It could most probably be infection to the testis (orchitis). Causes of orchitis are STD, mumps, routine urinary tract infections etc.

Get a check for STD, routine urine examination, ultrasound scrotum and visit a urologist.
It could also be a small varicocele, which cannot be palpated, but in case of varicocele there is an increase in size rather than a decrease.

There could also be a deficiency of blood supply to the left testicle, which is causing atrophy. In such cases immediate surgical intervention is required. Untreated testicular atrophies have greater chances of developing tumors.

It is suggested to get a detailed physical examination done by urologist and follow his advise.
Best.
,

hi,
I've got varicoceles in my left test and lately i remarked that the left one has shrunk dramatically while the other diminished also.Can any anyone tell me if this atrophy reversible after varicocele surgery or would it cause erectile problems in the future coz i'm planning to get married?
please help.