Testicular Pain post Vasectomy
In 1995 I had a vasectomy.  Since then I have had on an off pain triggered (in my right testicle) either a result of  sexual activity, physical activity or long durations of sitting/driving.  Generally I experience mild discomfort after more frequent sexual activity.  Recently I experienced more signifcant pain (6 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most painful)

When the pain occurs I experience tenderness in my testicle and a shooting like pain in the upper right portion of my groin.  After a year from my surgery a pain specialist suggested it was nerve damage and prescribed neurontin.  This seemed to help and after a month or two it appeared fine.  However, since then I have still experienced pain on an off again as described above.  I have not taken neurontin since that initial time.

I intend to see a urologist, but I wanted to get a sense of the options/treatment/hope that I may have.  The situation is both frustrating and impinging on my lifestyle.

A urologist would be the most appropriate next step.  It is certainly possible that the pain may be related to the vasectomy.  There are also a variety of other causes in the scrotum that you may want to rule out (i.e. cysts, masses, infection).  

I would suggst a scrotal ultrasound to evaluate for such masses.  If the urology referral is not revealing, you may want to consider other causes of pain that can radiate to the testicle - such as a groin pull, nerve damage, or hernia.  A referral to a neurologist may be helpful to evaluate for nerve damage.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Urologists in your area?