Urology Expert Forum
Testicular Pain post Vasectomy

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Testicular Pain post Vasectomy

In 1995 I had a vasectomy.  Since then I have had on an off pain triggered (in my right testicle) either a result of  sexual activity, physical activity or long durations of sitting/driving.  Generally I experience mild discomfort after more frequent sexual activity.  Recently I experienced more signifcant pain (6 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most painful)

When the pain occurs I experience tenderness in my testicle and a shooting like pain in the upper right portion of my groin.  After a year from my surgery a pain specialist suggested it was nerve damage and prescribed neurontin.  This seemed to help and after a month or two it appeared fine.  However, since then I have still experienced pain on an off again as described above.  I have not taken neurontin since that initial time.

I intend to see a urologist, but I wanted to get a sense of the options/treatment/hope that I may have.  The situation is both frustrating and impinging on my lifestyle.

A urologist would be the most appropriate next step.  It is certainly possible that the pain may be related to the vasectomy.  There are also a variety of other causes in the scrotum that you may want to rule out (i.e. cysts, masses, infection).  

I would suggst a scrotal ultrasound to evaluate for such masses.  If the urology referral is not revealing, you may want to consider other causes of pain that can radiate to the testicle - such as a groin pull, nerve damage, or hernia.  A referral to a neurologist may be helpful to evaluate for nerve damage.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.