Urology Community
Testosterone Therapy/Testicular atrophy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Testosterone Therapy/Testicular atrophy

I had been taking an old beta-blocker (Timolol 10mgs daily) for the last two years for anxiety. Libido began to wane some.   My Testosterone level was a little low (265) about a year ago.  I doubled my Timolol to 20 mgs last year and then had severe loss of libido and ability to have an erection.  I had a urologist test my testosterone and now it had dropped to 135.  I immediately began tapering off the Timolol for fear it had caused the problem and he started me on 5mgs of Androgel.  Boy did I feel better and my libido returned to normal.  After 6 weeks my testosterone was at 395 and the sex binding reading was normal again.  I have been on Androgel for 70 days and wonder if this might cause testicular atrophy or if I would have returned to normal without the Androgel if the Timolol was the cause of the low testosterone.  Should I try going off the Androgel for a few weeks and retest.  If the beta-blocker was the root cause of the low testosterone should it return to normal now that I am off of it completely?  If my libido crashes again can I just restart the Androgel to return to normal.   I sure like how I feel now but don't want to be suppressing my natural testosterone production if it could return to normal.  Any thoughts from an MD would be appreciated.

Toothartist