Urology Community
Thick, stringy mucus in urine?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Thick, stringy mucus in urine?

Recently I have noticed that when I go to the toilet, when I 'wipe' there is a very, very pale yellow mucus-like thing. It looks a bit like snot usually, but today there was more than usual. Disgusting, I know, but I touched it so that I could describe it better, and it was quite thick - when I moved it it stayed all in one piece, rather than coming into smaller pieces. I took a sniff too to see whether it was coming in my urine or whether it was from another place (I'm female) but it didn't smell of anything. It looked quite cloudy white, but when I put it down it went into a blob and that's when it got the yellow tinge. Sometimes, there is less of this stuff and it's not quite the same texture (to look at) and it's a bit more yellow/green coloured, but still very pale. Also, it doesn't hurt at all when I go to the toilet.

Sorry for being so gross, but I am really curious as to what it is - and I did wash my hands properly afterwards!! I don't know what else you need to know, but if there is anything that I've forgotten then just tell me.

Thanks in advance! :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
hi,

How are you?
This is the cervical mucus- a slightly alkaline secretion of the endocervical glands. The consistency and amount are dependent on the physiological hormone changes in the menstrual cycle. It contains the glycoprotein mucin, amino acids, sugar, enzymes, and electrolytes, with a water content up to 90%.

These are the  changes observed during the menstrual cycle:

Immediately after menstruation: minimal to no cervical mucus secretion
                                               vagina with dry sensation

Nearing Ovulation (increasing estrogen):progressive increase in cervical mucus

Ovulation: abundant cervical mucus
               peri-ovulation mucus consistency:
                                -raw egg white like consistency
                                -low viscosity mucus (thread-like consistency)
               optimal for sperm migration and survival

post-ovulation (progesterone surge): thick, rubbery, non-stretchy mucus
                                                    hostile environment for sperm

I hope this explained it all. Take care.
Thanks, I was wondering if it was from there, but it did seem like it was in my urine. Either way I don't think it's anything major to worry about - perhaps it's just become more noticeable because I recently stopped the Pill? I don't know... anyway, thank you again :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
It could be because of the hormonal imbalance your body is experiencing. Rest assured though that this is common in us women. This is even  a basis for the natural planning method where in couples abstain during the thread like consistency of the mucus (Billing's method).:)

Hi, i have also experienced what Emily (above) has, but my situation is a little more complicated!

Quoted from above: "The consistency and amount are dependent on the physiological hormone changes in the menstrual cycle" and "Nearing Ovulation (increasing estrogen):progressive increase in cervical mucus"

Now here is my situation-I am pregnant and about two weeks away from the delivery date, so obviously i havn't been having any periods for awhile now!!!! If you have any new information or other advice, it would be greatly appreciated, because at first i freaked and that it was the mucus plug, before your water breaks!
.
Dear Rowena,

I'm 28yrs old and i'm having a similar situation with the green mucus  showing up and it's quite a lot.  I had a UTI a  week Back and after that appeared the green mushy mucus. should i be alarmed?? i didn't actually take any antibiotic and so i'm worried. Please advice..
There's blood in the mucus in my urine. What is this?
Hi i never used this but i thought it could help me. Im a 15yr old female and i have a UTI. I have a similar problem as well, except wen i pee at the end of my pee it gives me a severe burning sensation and thats wen i produse the thick grean yellow and red mucus stuff. My mom wont take me to the doctor so i wanna know if its bad so i can show here. i really need help its been like this for about 2 or 3 weeks not, and i really cant take the pain.