Urology Community
Thrombosed vein in penis? Please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Thrombosed vein in penis? Please help!

Dear Doctor,
I am a divorced, 45 year old male who usually mastrubates a couple times a week.
A couple of weeks ago, after masturbating, I noticed a small "string like" lump in the shaft of my penis, on the top, near the head.  It's blueish in color (like a varicose vein) and is about 1/4" long and 1/16" wide.  It can be felt if my penis is erect or not.  I notice a slight itching or burning sensation at that spot after masturbation, or if my penis is pinched in my underwear.
After doing some internet research I believe what I may have is a throbosed vein on my penis.
I have read this described many times as a "string like" lump, but I haven't read any mention of color.
Do the above symptoms sound like a throbosed vein, or might it be something else?
If it is, is there anything I can/or should do to make it go away?
Should I refrain from masturbation completely until it goes away?
Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
T.
Thanks for your questions.
A thrombosed penile vein is not a common diagnosis. Also called as Mondor’s disease is thrombophlebitis of the penis; described as a painless or only slightly painful. Thromboses were noted 24-48 hours after a prolonged sexual act with or without an intercourse. The main symptom was a cord-like thickening of the superficial veins, which were painless or slightly painful. Doppler examination of the superficial dorsal vein
revealed obstruction of the vessels. Antiinflammatory agents, including aspirin, and rarely surgery are treatment options. Tenoxicam or Ibuprofen may be helpful if it does get painful. At times resolution of the thrombosis occurs uneventfully within 4-6 weeks. No recurrence or erectile dysfunction is usually noted. Penile Mondor's disease is a benign pathology of the superficial dorsal penile vein and should be taken into account in the differential diagnosis of penile pathologies. I would see my doctor again and reconsider the diagnosis or proceed with removal of the vein. In the meantime abstinence will not hurt and may help if you have been re-injuring the area.
Regards,
Dr Sylvester MD
Thanks for the reply Doc.
I went to see my family doctor and he said that it looked and felt like a thrombosed vein.
And he said that as long as it wasn't causing too much discomfort, just to leave it alone and it should take care of itself.
Again, thank you very much for your time.
Did it go away? Thanks! =)
he im Jake im 13 and ihave the same thing I noticed it one day after I masterbated but it doesn't cause me pain but I noticed if I try to masterbate it hurts I would like to know if it goes away and how long it usually will take. I'm a virgin also but it freaked me out. there is no cancer on any side of my family ither should I like just leave it alone and wait or could it be serious?please respond to group.***@**** if you need any thing else.. I have had this for about 2 days now I did a little research but haven't found any thing out helpful......
Jake,

Yes, after about 7-8 weeks the thrombosed vein did go away.
I was washing my penis and a vein came up I think it is thrombosed and I am scared and I am 13 and I am too scared to ask my parents or go to the doctor it is pailess and I have had it for a few months and I am really scared do I have.to get it removed? Plz tell me if it is dangerous
i think i have this thrombosed vein can this cause ed because i can no longer get an erection for the past 2 days i got this from jelqing to hard
After a rather unsuccessfull attempt at having anal intercourse (me being the "giver", obviously), my foreskin swelled up like a balloon. I was mortified to say the very least! However, it settled within 24 hours, and I was left with a string-like structure just underneath the skin, right below glans (glands). It feels like a hard vein or uneven tendon, stretching halfway around my penis.

However, my point is that this happended to me in 2005. I had it checked then, but no doctor (nor urologist) could really find anything, not even on the ultrasond, eventhough I knew it was there. I could feel it and see it. It's been there since (this is now late 2013). My thrombosis did not resolve itself, as is suggested by some and mentioned several places elsewhere on the Internet.

Instead, as of late, for me it has gotten worse. I am scheduled for surgery in january. I do experience dull pains when erect, and the pain intensifies when having vaginal intercourse or masturbating. Evidently due to added pressure in the area. For the most part, until now, this has been an aesthetical annoyance, albeit small.

Little is said about how one obains this symptom, apart from excessive sexual activity and/or trauma. This needs to be better exemplified in the litterature generally and on the Internett particularly.

For my sake, trying to penetrate anally was simply too much (that is, too tight), and this is what caused my foreskin to swell up like a balloon, because of a ruptured vein, thus leading to thrombosis and eventually some kind of "necrosis" of said vein.

I have read a few comments and generally the idea seems to be that the thrombosis will resolve itself over time. Mine did not, so I think it's fair to say, from my point of vlew, that self-resolve is a relative expression. Time, in my case, is some eight years!