Urology Community
Torn tunica albuginea (not sure if considered penile fracture)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

A month and a half ago I had an injury to my erection that caused sharp pain and quick loss of my erection. Immediately after the event I noticed the formation of two semi circumferential bumps across the shaft of my penis.  I went to urgent care the day after I injured myself, and although they could see the lumps no scans were ordered because I did not have the gross bruising and eggplant deformity you typically see with penile fractures.  

When flaccid I can feel the tissue underneath the skin and it feels coarse in the area where I have the bumps, I can also roll the skin over these lumps and the lumps do not move (rolling sign?).  

I have seen several urologists since this incident and upon feeling the lumps most say that it is likely I had damaged my tunica albuginea, but there is no active intervention they can do to repair it.  One said It's likely I had a small tear in my tunica albuginea, but since there is no gross busing and deformity there is nothing to be done.  

I have sought help from various doctors, but the general consensus seems to be if it's not purple it's not a problem, and I was told there are no scans to rule out a torn tunica albuginea, only surgery (degloving) which is not warranted and at this point it's probably too late for.  One said there is no use since it's past 48 hours, that is the window for medical intervention.  

After seeking the help of several doctors, I decided to wait and see how it heals, but it has been 6 weeks and things have neither improved nor gotten worse.  

Every medical study I have read regarding penile fractures seem to indicate prompt surgical treatment is required to minimize the risk of permanent damage and erectile dysfunction, but no doctor I have visited was even interested in further investigating this or doing an imaging scan to either confirm or rule out a tear.  Actually, I had a PA order a urgent ultrasound, but it later turned out that there is no protocol for doing imaging scans of the penis in a non emergency setting.  At least not with my healthcare provider.  I was told any scan is unnecessary because it will not change the treatment plan.

Is it possible to have a penile fracture without getting the gross bruising and deformity of the penis?  
Is it possible to have a minor tear to the tunica albuginea and for it to fully heal itself without surgical repair?  
Can one bruise their tunica albuginea?

I feel for you brother.  sounds like the dr was not very reassuring but at least  they didn't freak out and immediately want to do surgery seems like a good sign.   It can take about 6-8  weeks to heal an injury to the tunica so be patient.  might be okay in the long run.  

can you post an update.  I had a similar injury about a week ago .  did not hear a pop or have sudden loss of an erection but does hurt when I get an erection now.