Urology Community
Traumatic epididymitis recovery time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Traumatic epididymitis recovery time?

I'm a 26 year old male and about 3 months ago I began having this dull pain/soreness in my left testicle.  I seemed to notice this after I was playing a lot of tennis while i was on vacation around the last week of June.  Normally after playing tennis I have been known to have soreness/tightness in my lower ab area, but the pain in the testicle was a new issue.  After i began noticing the pain, I stopped playing tennis and ended up seeing a doctor a week or so later.  I didn't get a definite diagnosis from doctor -- they ran a urinalysis and checked for a hernia, but both were negative.  

About a week or so later, the pain went away so I decided to get back into tennis since i had been taking it easy for the past couple weeks.   As soon as I started playing again, I noticed the dull pain in my left testicle came back.  I finally went back to my doctor around August 15th since the pain and soreness were sticking around and he said I most likely have traumatic epididymitis.  He put me on a 2 week run of antibiotics (doxycicline?) and anti-inflammatories (naproxen 500mg).  After finishing the supply of medicine I had, my symptoms have seemed to improve.   However, it seems that my recovery seems to be going very slow and I still have quite a bit of soreness and occasional pain in my left testicle still.  I've been wearing an athletic supporter for about 2 weeks now and have also been doing hot baths and ice pack treatments to try and speed things up.

Is it really normal for the recovery of traumatic epididymitis to take so long and if so, how long should I expect?  I've been considering going to see a urologist, but I didn't want to be too hasty if a longer recovery time is normal.

Also, any other treatment recommendations to aid in my recovery would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  How are you? Epididymitis is the inflammation of the long coiled tube attached to the upper part of each testicle, in which sperm mature and are stored before ejaculation. Traumatic epididymitis especially common among members of the military who exercise for extended periods without emptying the bladder. I feel in your case also it could be traumatic.
Diagnosis is made by urine analysis and colour doppler.

Usually traumatic epididymitis does not require antibiotics but to prevent the chance of secondary infection antibiotics are prescribed. Pain killers, hot baths, avoiding caffeine, abstaining  from sexual activity until complete recovery is achieved, avoiding strenuous activity might help in early recovery.

In case of torsion of testis due to trauma surgical intervention might require.
Recovery might take from weeks to months depending on the extent of injury. Follow the advise of your doctor.
Take care.

I was struck in the left testicle 3 years ago with a blunt object. It was a violent assault. I still have pain. I have gone through rounds of toradol injections from my urologist but still experience pain, sometimes the pain is great. The Dr says it is trauma epididymitis but has no clue for the outcome. I do not have insurance. It hurts like heck still after 3 years. I am a young man in my early 30's and don't know what to do. The ultra sounds show nothing but I have all the symptons. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Mike ***@****
I had the same thing happen to me while playing football. Mine took a while before it stopped hurting. I'm also a LPN student and we don't go into much depth about epididymitis but I'm thinking there could be some scar tissue in the area.