Urology Expert Forum
Treatment for low-testosterone
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Treatment for low-testosterone

  I'm a 38 year old man who recently tested low (387) for test-
  osterone. My doctor (a generalist)wants me to get tested again in
  three weeks and then most likely give me shots.  I'd rather find
  a more specialized doctor who is experience in the new natural
  transdermal gels or natural sublingual tablets.  Can someone
  please help me in my search by informing me of any such
  specialists (would it be a urologist?) who practice in San
  Francisco.  (I'm not looking for a referral, just some
  direction.)  I'd be very grateful and appreciative of any info.
  I receive.  THANKS.     -Michael
Related Discussions

Dear Michael,
The testosterone level which you have provided is on the low side of normal but it is very close to an acceptable range.  Your first question on what type of doctor you should see would be between a Urologist or an Endocrinologist.  It really depends on what your symptoms are, if any,  if you developed normally during puberty, and  is this is an isolated value.  First of all, testosterone is at its peak in the morning.  You should not have a testosterone drawn in the afternoon.
If you are having erectile dysfunction, then you should see a urologist.  He or she can work-up the reason for the dysfunction and treat it appropriately.  There are several new systems to transfer testosterone as you are well aware of and either a urologist or endocrinologist can prescribe them.
I would recommend that you first identify what you are treating.  What are your symptoms?  If you do have a problem, I would recommend redrawing the testosterone and see your doctor for a physical exam.  There are other hormones related to the release of testosterone which may need to be evaluated to put into perspective the etiology of your decreased testosterone value.  But there is no reason for a man your age to undergo testosterone replacement just to treat a low value.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
*keyword:Testosterone level.

A related discussion, Low testosterone and sperm count was started.
I am a 40 ye old male with a 160 on testosterone and 26 on vitamin D,  255 cholesterol/on Crestor now and little high on triglyceride's.  have urology appt on Mon but what should I expect with these results?


Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
Jan 27 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGDBlank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank