Urology Expert Forum
Trouble Inserting Catheter

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Trouble Inserting Catheter
I am a male that has self-cathetered successfully over the past few months.  However the last two times I tried I could only insert the catheter about an inch before it seemed to be blocked and caused me some pain.  I did not force the catheter at that point because I do not want to injure myself.  What could be the problem in my urethra?  I only require an 8fr catheter.  Why would I have a problem now after being painlessly successful in the past?  

Thank you in advance for any replies!
Your difficulty self catheterizing may be due to an inadequate amount of lubricant as well as the size of your catheter. 8 Fr, is a small catheter. The standard is #14 Fr.  8Fr. catheters are extremYour difficulty self catheterizing may be due to an inadequate amount of lubricant as well as the size of your catheter. 8 Fr, is a small catheter. The standard is #14 Fr.  8Fr. catheters are extremely soft and difficult to insert anywhere. The burning sensation may occur because of an infection or local trauma. A stricture (scarring) of your urethra can cause these symptoms and more.
Is your neurological situation stable?
A  urologic evaluation is indicated .
S.A.Liroff, M.D.
ely soft and difficult to insert anywhere. The burning sensation may occur because of an infection or local trauma. A stricture (scarring) of your urethra can cause these symptoms and more.
Is your neurological situation stable?
A  urologic evaluation is indicated .
S.A.Liroff, M.D.
I feel that I should post an update.  Shortly after my above post I was again successful through a change in my technique.  When I got to where the "blockage" was I rotated the catheter and slowly progress the catheter without pain!  I am very relieved!  However, after removing the catheter I had a lot of burning sensation.  Was this burning a result of the rotation?
I inserted a catheter to male patient,due to retaining a 880 mls of urine to his bladder.after the catheter inserted there was not enough urine came out,,i noticed  hematuria.after 3 hours still the urine output is very low and bladder scanner done and showed 810 mls.Is it possble that i entered the catheter wrongly,have i caused more injury to his bladder?