Urology Community
Trouble Urinating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Trouble Urinating

Hi, I'm a male in my early 20's and I have trouble urinating; I'm really anxious to find out why I have trouble urinating.  I've had trouble urinating as long as I can remember, but I have never said anything about it due to shame.  Within the last 5 years it has gotten progressively worse, and I would really like to know what is wrong.
I can sleep through the night without having to get up to pee about 1 out of 4 nights, but the other 3 out of 4 nights I'll probably just wake up once.  I don't feel like I have to go more often than the average person; it just takes longer to start.  I have never really been able to pee while standing, it takes so much longer.  Usually when I'd sit down it would take atleast 30 seconds to start peeing.  Within the last few years it has gotten much worse though.  Now it can take as long as 5-10 minutes to start peeing, with an average of probably 2 minutes.  
It does not hurt when I pee, and I feel like I empty my whole bladder when I pee.  My stomach will hurt quite badly when I have to urinate though.  It will be the only thing I can focus on until I go.  When I do have to go really badly, it still takes a long time to start.  There is no starting and stopping when I go.  I have noticed when I shower and let hot water hit my stomach about 2-3 inches below my belly button, it is then very easy to urinate, almost instantaneous.  I don't know if that means anything.  
I am in a healthy sexual relationship, and my girlfriend and I are both clean of STD's 100% sure.
I really feel a need to seek help about this though.  Mentally it is tough knowing that something is wrong and has been wrong, but I don't know what.  It makes me feel like less of a man having to find a stall and secretly sit down and pee always.  Also the fact that it takes so long to start is starting to become more of an issue.  Whenever I have to pee in a social setting I always use up alot of time, and I just have to tell people that I had to poop usually.  Anyway, it's just becoming tougher to function as a normal human being with this happening.
I'm too timid about it to see a doctor unless it is serious.  
I would really appreciate any advice/information.
Larry
I have your same symptoms word for word.  I went to the VA Hospital and they diagnosed it to be "shy kidney"...  Believe me it can be a pain. I can't even pee in front of my wife.  I have to close the door.

Marvin J
Avatar_dr_m_tn
What you seem to be having is urinary hesitancy and it is difficulty starting or maintaining a urinary stream. It can be due to shy or bashful bladder syndrome, enlarged prostate due to benign prostatic hypertrophy (often called BPH) or infection of the prostate( prostatitis), any blockage in the flow of urine like any scar tissue, injury (as in a car wreck or bad fall), blood clots, infection, tumors in the pelvic region, and stones, infection or due to disruption of the delicate and complex system of nerves that connects the urinary tract with the brain and the nervous system.

I suggest you an immediate urologist’s evaluation to check out these possibilities and confirm the diagnosis after investigations.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.