Urology Expert Forum
Trouble urinating when drinking alcohol

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Trouble urinating when drinking alcohol

I have recently been having problems urinating when I drink alcohol. If I drink say 6-12 beers, everything is fine the 1st couple of times i urinate, then after that it slows tremendoulsy and almost stops completely at times and I have to strain to finish,next morning everything seems to be fine and can go as normal. Can't figure this one out. I had never had problems like this before, but I had an auto accident in March 05 and had some fractured vertebrae and other nicks and bruises , and had to take Hyrocodone for my pain and other anti-inflamatory meds. I was told that the medicine might be causing it, so my injuries have healed enough that I have been completely off of all meds for the past 3 weeks, but the problem is still there. Was also told that lots of sodas can cause problems, well I've not had but 4-5 in the past 3 months, only sweet tea or milk. Any advice?
Tags: Alcohol
Problems urinating can be caused by infection - which can be evaluated via a urinalysis and possible urine culture.

It is also possible that nerve damage from the accident may have led to urinary problems.

If you are male, prostate enlargement is a common cause of problems urinating.  A rectal exam can be done to evaluate the size of the prostate.  If large, various medication options can be tried to shrink the prostate.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or in conjunction with a urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
0
A related discussion, alcohol and water retention!!!!! was started.