Trouble with bladder retention
I am wondering how or what is the best way to urinate independently after a Foley catheter?  I have a history of bladder retention due to a nuerological infection and have been on a prescription of Flomax for nearly five years now, which worked great.  Meanwhile, I am now recovering from a GI bleed and after surgury I was straight cathed as needed, then Foley cathed after I was not able to urinate on my own for six hours.  It was the most painful duration I have ever known.  Now I'm worried about what to do next after this Foley is out.  
How are you? What other symptoms are present? With acute urinary retention, insertion of a catheter  is initial treatment to relieve the immediate distress of a full bladder and prevents permanent bladder damage. This also depends on other factors such as the underlying cause as well as your medical history. The cause of acute urinary retention may be temporary or chronic. For chronic cases,  further treatment will be necessary such as continued catheter while acute cases may resolve immediately after. The muscles and sphincters will go back to normal.  Take care and do keep us posted.