Urology Community
UPJ Obstruction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

UPJ Obstruction

I have had a ureteral stent in place for approximately four months. I am scheduled for a pyeloplasty on Jan. 28th. In the meantime, my urologist has suggested that I undergo a nephrostomy in order that the stent can be removed for one week prior to surgery. I do not want another invasive procedure.
On the other hand, a prior stent was removed, and I developed severe flank pain three days later.That necessitated the placement of a second stent. If I opt not to have the nephrostomy, what if anything, can I do to avoid a blockage for one week?
I know you have already had the pyeloplasty.  I see no one responded to your question.  I too have a UPJ obstruction and am looking at that surgery.  Was wondering how well you did and was it laproscopy or open pyeloplasty?  What part of the country are you from.  I am from N. Louisiana and have an appt. with a dr. in New Orleans April 1st.  Have had a hard time finding a "good" urologist.  In other words, I would like to find help quicker than April 1st.  I am in a lot of pain and feel bad most of the time.  I know you can relate to what I am going through.
Kara