Urology Community
UTI & Incontinence

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

UTI & Incontinence

I have had constant UTI's for the past year approx.  literally finish an antibiotic and I'm back on it 2 weeks later.  All the cultures grow out usually E-Coli although once was MRSA.  Hyprex did not seem to help the prevention and we are now trying a low dose Bactrim instead. I am peeing all the time anyway from the incontinence and 9 times out 10 have no UTI symptoms..I have done the pelvis floor physical therapy without much success.   I have diabetes as well and have seen a urologist as well as frequent microalbimin testing to be sure thats not an issue.  We have tried the max dose on all the meds .. detrol, oxybutic etc.. The urologist did all his testing and besides deciding I had mixed incontinence his response was "wow, what a leak"  yea he was a keeper..lol.  Due to my age of 36 and no kids he was hesitant to do a bladder sling despite my pleading.  Instead he did botox injections to the bladder neck which I found not at all useful and  non-covered by insurance which I cont. to pay for.  My PCP is setting me up with a 2nd urologist and I have decided now at 38 maybe kids arn't in the cards for me and I prefer to just get this over with.  It is reaching a point where just a trip to the grocery store for 30 min. has to include a bathroom trip and the trunk is packed with not only jumper cables but a trash bag for the seats in the car, towels, and a change of clothes.   I am at my wits end and just don't know what else to do..
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Yes, you must consult another urologist. What you need is a urine culture and sensitivity test done. Next time you have this problem, please go to a laboratory and give your urine for culture and sensitivity in a sterile bottle. This will tell you what organism is causing the infection and what antibiotic will kill it permanently. Please do not take any antibiotic without this test because if the organism is not sensitive to the antibiotic, it will only sit quietly for some time and then flare up again.
The leaking could be due to urine getting trapped by a tumor, a hydrocele, a hernia, cancer of testicle, varicoceles or enlarged prostate. The leaking could also be due to weak bladder wall muscle---this gives a sensation of incomplete emptying of bladder. Inertstitial cystitis of bladder or narrowing of urethra could also cause leaking.  Here are a few tips on this link which will help you a lot: http://www.continence-foundation.org.uk/symptoms-and-treatments/overflow-incontinence.php
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!