Urology Community
UTI cystitis and Enlarged spleen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

UTI cystitis and Enlarged spleen

I was advised to  go to the Emergency Room on Saturday due to a swollen mass in my upper left abdomen. I had told the doctor that i was worried there was something wrong with my spleen. After a Urinalysis, they took 4-5 vials of blood to do tests. They hooked me up to an IV and took me to get x-rays done. 7 x rays later they reviewed them and said that they looked a little funny so they wanted to do a CT. They found that my kidney is extremely swollen and my spleen in enlarged. All they told me is that i have a urinary tract infection and said that that may be why my spleen is enlarged and why i have a high white blood cell count. i was put on Levaquin to help the infection and i'm going for a follow-up appointment with my doctor tomorrow.

Is is REALLY possible that i ONLY have a urinary tract infection? cause i see nothing online linking a UTI with an enlarged spleen.

Thanks,
Vicki
    How are you? Enlarged spleen is one of the sign of a various disease processess. It can occur due to conditions involving the blood or lymph system, and by infection, malignancies, liver diseases, and parasites. Viral or bacterial infections, blood cancers, cirrhosis of liver, metabolic disorders etc are the common causes of splenomegaly. Chronic infections can cause an enlarged spleen.

An enlarged spleen inturn can cause removal of too many red blood cells causing weakness. Also frequent infections and tendencies to bleed are common with enlarged spleen. I think you are having a chronic UTI, which would have caused enlarged spleen. Swelling of the kidney can occur due to ascending UTI.

Levaquin is a broad spectrum antibiotic useful for both gram positive and negative organisms. I would suggest to get a ultrasound after the course of levaquin, this would confirm whether the enlarged spleen is due to infection or some underlying cause. Depending upon that further investigations can be taken up.

Check the link for further information on enlarged spleen.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/enlarged-spleen/DS00871/DSECTION=symptoms