Urology Community
UTI or Kidney infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

UTI or Kidney infection

I need some help with these test results.  Let me begin by saying that I have a kidney condition known as FSGS. My kidney function has basically normal (stage 1-kidney disease).  I check my urine at home with Chem Strips to check for protein.  About a month ago I noticed nitrates were testing positive on the strips (Only +first morning urine), I had no symptoms of a UTI and I did nothing.  Then a few days ago my urine appeared green and was testing for blood, leukocytes, protein (I always have this), and still the nitrates(Now positive at any time of day tested).  I then began having urgency issues as well as right side flank pain.  I went to the Dr. and she said my urine was a mess.  I had rod shaped bacteria (3+),WBC (60-80/HPF), blood (small), nitrites (+), leukocytes (Large), protein (100 mg/dL).  Is this just a regular UTI or is something else going on with my kidneys.  MY last blood work , 2 weeks ago, showed by BUN at 20 and my creatine (.8).  My nephrologist is out of town.  She put me on a 7 day supply of levaquin and wants to repeat the urine in 7 days.  Any information you have would be appreciated.  Is there anything else I should do? Thanks so much.
please someone respond.  I am getting worse
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Your results in the 2-week old blood test for kidney function appear to be ok.
Are you on any medication for treatment of FSGS?
Any medications for hypertension or high cholesterol?

Nitrates in urine are seen during a urinary tract infection and may be produced by the bacteria causing infection.

Rod-shaped bacteria are called bacilli and they can cause some virulent infection.

You should have a urine culture and sensitivity done ASAp as you say you have not been getting better after the levoquin.
It is possible that the bacilli are resistant to this antibiotic.
Given that your kidneys ahve already faced insult in the form of scarring due to FSGS it would be best to seek appropriate care at the earliest to avoid kidney damage.

Change of antibiotics is essential here.

Additionally,

Please drink at least 2000 ml of fluids. More if possible as this will keep clearing the bacilli from your kidneys and urine.
Increase intake of vitamin C (natural sources suchas citrus and cranberry juices).

Get a blood test repeated for kidney function if you develop swelling in hands or feet or even under your eye.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
regards