Urology Community
UTI or something else???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

UTI or something else???

I have had the frequent urge to urinate for 3 weeks now.  The first week I had the frequent urge I thought it was the beginning of a UTI, so I took the Azo pills for 2 days and it was better for 2 days after I stopped taking the pills but it came back.  I can go the the bathroom everytime I feel the urge and it just be a few drips.  If I hold it, I feel the need to do the peepee dance after 20 minutes.  If I hold it longer than about 45 minutes I won't have the urge until an extra hour later.  Then when I go when I really have to go I get that frequent urge all over again.  After my last period, my husband and I used a condom and I don't like the way those make me smell down there so I used a douche the day after.  I have changed my soaps.  I used to use the anti-age bar soap by Olay and now I use Olay's bar soap with cocoa butter.  I have also change shampoo and conditioner.  I used to use Dove and now I use Aussie.  There's a lot of things that I have done or changed in the last 6 weeks to make it seem like a UTI, but I only have the first signs of a UTI and nothing more.  I have had this for 3 weeks now and I still have the same frequent urge symptom and the occasional spasm near the urethra opening.  If I pee everytime I feel the urge it burns a little like I have held it all day.  Sex feels very uncomfortable and sometimes hurts, but only near the opening.  I have used a mirror to see what could be wrong or if it's a rash or whatever it may be.  The only thing that looks out of the ordinary is the urethra opening, which looks swollen but it's not red or abnormally colored.  Could this be a UTI or something else?  Should I do kegel exercises again?  I say again because I have a 5 yr old. I'm only 25 so I don't think it's urinary incontinence.  
From the symptoms it can be urinary tract infection. Also urethral syndrome or urethritis has to be ruled out.It is a primarily female syndrome in which women suffer from irritative bladder symptoms (urinary frequency, urgency, burning
, and a hesitant or slowed urinary stream) in the absence of any objective urologic findings.In this the diagnosis can be made only by the proper collections of urine specimens from both the urethra and the bladder. These specimens will reveal the presence of white blood cells in the urethral washings, while the midstream (bladder) specimen will be free of cells.
Abstain from intercourse for a few days, take plenty of fluids and take some OTC analgesics like ibuprofen or diclofenac. Also take pyridium for 2-3 days(it stains the urine orange) and sit in warm non soapy water. Also consult a doctor for antibiotics prescription if the symptoms persist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have had a about 7 UTIs in the past 10 years and I remember how they felt, but having the beginning symptoms of a uti for 3 weeks now seems a little off to me.  Unless, I'm keeping the infection out of my bladder by drinking lots of water.  The discomfort and pain hasn't made it to my bladder yet.  It's a pretty steady place that it's in.  It hasn't moved up and the pain hasn't gotten any worse than when it started 3 weeks ago.  I hope it goes away soon.