Urology Community
UTI resistant to antibiotics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

UTI resistant to antibiotics

So I've had THE SAME urinary tract/kidney infection since December/January of this year.  I have received antibiotic shots and taken macrobid off and on since, but it has not gone away.  I am now on a different antibiotic (4x a day), but do not feel any better.

This isn't the first time this has happened.  A few years ago I had the same problem.  I tried every antibiotic (cipro, zithromax, amoxicillin, etc.) and macrobid was the only one that killed it.  Ever since I have requested macrobid as the others still have failed to work.  Now it appears as if macrobid no longer works.  Also, for two years I have had blood in my urine (even when I don't have a UTI).  I was also diagnosed (when this first recurrent infection occurred)
with interstitial cystitis (sp?), but after seeing a new urologist last fall and undergoing a procedure to look inside my bladder, he told me I did not and took me off of Elmiron.  He did not recommend any follow up appointments, didn't seem concerned about the blood and I've been on my own since.

I'm really frustrated and don't know what to do.  Sorry if this is all over the place as well.  The  infection has made me very sick and I'm currently a bit feverish/out of it.  Any advice as to why the antibiotics aren't working?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

When you were diagnosed with the infection and prescribed with the medications, was there good compliance to the medications ?

Also, initially during the early part of your consults was a urine culture done and was this used as a basis for your treatment?

Poor medication compliance, inappropriate antibiotics, an underlying infection caused by atypical organisms and underlying structural disorders and systemic conditions like diabetes or an immunosuppressed state may lead to certain difficulties in treating infections.

Do any of these apply in your case?
Thank you so much for your response.

I was initially diagnosed with this infection in January 2008.  However, I don't know how long I may have had it.  I have had dozens of urinary tract infections every year since I was seventeen (before I was ever even sexually active), and I've grown unable to really even notice them until they become quite bad.  I never noticed myself feeling better when prescribed the macrobid any time during this year.  I had a urine culture sent last week and I will be returning to my GP ASAP to see what the results of this were.

I do not have diabetes that I'm aware of (though I did possess horrifically awful eating habits from age 16 until recently from anorexia and bulimia), and I don't believe my immune system is compromised to my knowledge.  I am a 21-year-old, healthy weight female who has been recovered from my eating disorders quite well for the most part.  Aside from frequent urinary tract infections I have mild mitral valve prolapse, and was recently diagnosed with a low risk strain of HPV.  I am not sure if any of these things would be contributing to why I may be having trouble clearing this infection yet again.  I take all the medication as scheduled and always finish the entire bottle.  I do not skip pills or stop taking them at any time.

Is there any one antibiotic which may work for me or anything I might be able to do to rid of this infection?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You are welcome.

As much as I want to help with regards to your question on antibiotics, it is important to note that antibiotics are prescribed based on the working diagnosis and the most likely organisms causing your condition.

Also, it is important to take note of your age and other underlying medical conditions. Let us wait for the results of the culture as this will help guide the next step of treatment.

A kidney, ureter and bladder CT scan will be able to help visualize structures involved. Was this done?

With regards to the HPV, viral infections causing UTI is rare. At this point, it will be hard to tell if the HPV contributes to your condition.
I returned to the doctor today after finishing my antibiotic and to get the results from the culture.  To my surprise, I was told today that she reviewed ALL my cultures since age 17 (including the current one) and said because of the type of bacteria involved the cultures weren't able to be developed right?  She said it's NOT from me not doing a "clean catch" correctly (I am very careful about this) or the lab screwing up but that the type of bacteria is just too strange/strong or something of the sort.  She looked at my urine under a microscope and said it looked "better" than last time, but alas, the infection is still there.  She prescribed a sulfa based antibiotic for me to use for two weeks, and told me to return yet again to see what happens.  She told me I should return to my gynecologist immediately to get the hpv lesions removed (I'm using aldara cream for them currently), and to talk to him about the urinary tract infection.  I'm really not sure why yet ANOTHER antibiotic hasn't worked on me or why the gynecologist needs to evaluate the uti?  I haven't had a CT scan done, though I have had a couple cystoscopy's.  Would returning to my GP and asking for a referral to a urologist be advisable at this point?