Urology Community
UTI symptoms but testing negative

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

UTI symptoms but testing negative

I recently started on detrol LA due to an overactive bladder with urgency being the primary symptom.
After 7 days of taking the med, I developed pain in my left lower abdomen. It persistantly got worse then after about 4 day began to involve my mid lower abdomen (bladder area). I was having minimal burning but intense pressure at the end of my urine stream. I stopped the Detrol, called my doc, had a u/a done (had only about a tablespoon of urine in the cup - I had just peed and had performance anxiety!). Doc called same day and said I might have a mild UTI and started me on Cipro for three days. After 2 doses I felt 75% better. After finishing the course - 99% better.
Now I just got a call today (7 days after finishing the med) from the doc saying my urine culture was negative!
She wants me to have a repeat urine this week to make sure it is clear. I have 2 questions:
1. Is it possible to have a UTI with a negative culture?
2. Anyone ever hear of this happening with the Detrol? I'm 46 yrs old and have never had a uti until starting this Detrol- coincidence???
thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Pain and frequency during urination can be related to a UTI. Even though there was no bacteria detected in the urine, it is possible that you have an infection of the bladder. Organisms such as chlamydia and mycoplasma are intracellular parasites are not identified on routine urinalysis. They will induce symptoms of UTI but the urinalysis and culture usually are negative.

You will need to have yourself tested for chlamydia and mycoplasma (STDs) as these are two infections that can cause symptoms of UTI but are not detected on routine urinalysis or culture. Tests for these infections include specific kits and a swab will collect the sample for analysis or culture.

Ensure that you keep your fluid intake over 2000 ml per day and avoid prostate irritants, such as caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods. Also avoid sitting for long periods of time. Add plenty of vitamin C to your diet through cranberry juice or citrus juices.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.