Urology Community
UTI with Enterobacter?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

UTI with Enterobacter?

Hi everyone,
I've had two UTI's in the past 4 months, and both of them have been caused by Enterobacter. I've read that this is normally acquired in hospitals (I haven't been a patient recently) and can be much harder to get rid of (often quickly develops drug resistance...) Has anyone else ever had a UTI with Enterobacter? I think UTI's are normally caused by E.Coli and my doctor said it was strange that I would develop two Enterobacter infections. Any info/experience anyone might have would be great! I'm getting freaked out by the idea of developing some crazy drug-resistant superbug in my body...

thanks,
Boston
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Just to clarify some things. You have mentioned that you were not a patient recently.However, have you been hospitalized before?

Where there any instances of of previous surgeries or instrumentation?

Any prior stay in the hospital wherein you are attached to an intravenous line, given several courses of antibiotics?

Was a urine culture done to determine the diagnosis of an Enterobacter infection?
No, I have never been hospitalized or had any IVs and have not been on antibiotics (except for 10 days in November 07 to treat my previous UTI.) Both times my urine culture shows Enterobacter as the infecting agent. Does this seem strange or cause concern?
thanks,
Boston
Hi there. I just returned from my dr's this afternoon after giving my third in the last two months urine sample. Today, they gave me a perscription for Cipro, a few weeks back, it was Levaquin, a few weeks before that, it was Septra. This is the third anti-biotic that they have perscribed for me to knock out this stubborn urinary tract infection. The think that I have developed an immunity to anti-biotics becasue I have been on them half my life (I was born with a bad kidney, which was removed in the late 70's when I was 11). Today, they tell me that I have a new bacteria, this entereococcus. I have not been hosptialized since I was a kid in the late 1970's. But, however, I di have a pelvic ultrasound on March 6, they did the regular kind, and also, the transvaginal kind becasue they couldnt find my ovary. Could it have been the ultrasound that gave me this bacteria, by any chance?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You have mentioned that one of your kidneys has been removed.This may contribute to your current condition of recurrent and unresolved UTI's.I do not think the ultrasound procedure could have caused the enterobacter infection. For patients with underlying structural factors like a single kidney, cysts and presence of obstruction in the urinary tract, UTI when they occur may be considered complicated. Enterococcus may occur in the community population,although this type of organisms are usualy more prevalent in hospital settings.

Here are some possible factors to consider in  cases of unresolved UTI:
Source: http://www.duj.com/Article/Schaeffer/Schaeffer.html#Table%201

Bacterial resistance to the drug selected for treatment
Development of resistance from initially susceptible bacteria
Bacteriuria caused by two different bacterial species with mutually exclusive susceptibilities
Rapid reinfection with a new, resistant species during initial therapy for the original susceptible organism
Azotemia
Papillary necrosis from analgesic abuse
Giant staghorn calculi in which the ìcritical massî of susceptible bacteria is too great for antimicrobial inhibition

These are just factors that your physician may consider.I suggest that you take the medications and complete its course.Follow up with your physician to have your response assessed.Most organisms that cause UTI are resistant to certain antibiotics.

Here is a suggested reading that may guide you in understanding UTI more:

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0102-86502003001200012&script=sci_arttext

Thank you so much for the quick response, I really appreciate everything you inlcuded and will read up on everything you posted. Thanks again!