Urology Expert Forum
UTI..iritated urethra...Cipro...ect
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

UTI..iritated urethra...Cipro...ect

Re: UTI..iritated urethra...Cipro...ect

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Urology Forum ]

Posted by HFHS M.D.-MS on February 24, 1998 at 17:09:30:

In Reply to: UTI..iritated urethra...Cipro...ect posted by chad on February 14, 1998 at 01:16:24:
  Hi...This past Tuesday, I went to a Urgent Care Center to see about a urinary
  problem.  Symptoms were increased urination, heavy bladder, burning pain at tip of penis AFTER urination, not during.
  NO kidney pain or anything like that.  Anyway, I had urin test and full penis
  exam.  Test showed that I had trace amount of blood and white blood cells in
  urin.  Doctor said I most likey had a UTI and perscrided Cipro and said
  symptoms should deminish in two or three days.  Well, it's Friday and the
  heavy bladder and frequent peeing is gone, but I still have this burning
  after I urinate.  There is no pain during and it fades in and out in intensity.
  Actually, the more I worry about it, the worse it is.  Also, I know STD is out
  because i have been with my partner for 4 1/2 years, and I KNOW we have been exclusive.
  (also, no pus or any discharge)Anyway, I know I'm rambling, but should this burning subside with the Cipro,
  am I too impatiant, and it there anything else I can do about this burning
  (warm baths seem to work).
  Thanks for your time
================================================================
Dear Chad.
Thanks for your question.
It does sound like you have a urinary tract infection, but did your Dr. send your urine for a culture.  Occasionally, passing a kidney stone or bladder tumor can give the same symptoms and a positive urine culture can make a stronger case for a simple urinary tract infection.   If a culture was obtained and was positive ( it takes about two days for results), the urgent care center can usually tell you if the antibiotic you were prescribed ( Cipro ) will work or not.    
It is not uncommon to have a  burning sensation for up to 2 weeks after having a UTI even if the infection was treated appropriately.   The important thing is that all symptoms are improving.   You should have a repeat culture after 10 days of treatment to make sure the infection is fully treated.  A chronic infection of the prostate will need four to six weeks of  antibiotic.  
After you have recovered from a simple urinary tract infection, some urologist recommend that male patients undergo a urologic evaluation.  The work-up includes Xrays of the kidneys and bladder (IVP) and looking into the bladder with a  special scope.  Infected kidney stones, bladder stones and tumors or  outpouchings in the bladder wall  that keep the  bladder from emptying well  are just  few things these test may find that need treatment.  It may be better to see a urologist who can perform these test in follow-up. Hope this has helped and  Good Luck!
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653 6568).
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
Sincerely:
HFHS M.D.- MS
* Keyword: Urinary Tract Infection, male