Urology Expert Forum
Undecended Testicle
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Undecended Testicle

My 16 year old son had surgery at 11 for undecended testicles which had been up til then called retractile. (I made the mistake of believing a single doctor - I should have checked with others!)  His puberty seems to be progressing ok - voice change, body hair, etc. but I am concerned about his sexuality.  I realize he may be sterile but what are the chances of homosexuality.  He doesn't seem interested in girls and I found him checking gay web sites.  Could there be hormonal problems?  Do I take him to a utologist or a psychiatrist?  He wants to see neither.  
---------------------------------------------------------
Dear K.B.
Thanks for your question.
Undescended testes has not been associated with homosexual behavior in the medical literature. He needs self testicular exams monthly for an increased risk of testes tumors.    A urologist  is not needed at this time if he is meeting his puberty milestones.  Fertility  should not assessed unless he wants to know ( i.e. semen analysis).  Likewise the psychologist.
Note that the management of undescended testes has changed over the years. At one time orchiopexy prior to puberty was the accepted teaching. With time, we have learned more and more and the age for intervention has been progressively moved back to the present 9-12 months of age.
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  1 800 653 6568. We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians