Urology Community
Undescended Testicle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Undescended Testicle

My son is 6 years old and I was told today at his regular check-up that they think he has an undescended testicle. What are his chances of having fertility problems since it took so long to be diagnosed? He has a sonogram in February to determine the location of the testicle. Any information would be great.
I typed "6 year old undescended testicle' into Google and did a search and came up with this:
Testicular retraction:
This is the most common factor resulting in the inaccurate diagnosis of an undescended testicle.
It is common in boys 5-6 years old and is due to a hyperactive cremaster muscle reflex. This is basically a variation of normal. In children from 1 year to 11 years of age, 80% of fully descended testes can withdraw from scrotum and leave an empty scrotum behind due to cremaster reflex. If a testicle can be milked down to the bottom of the scrotum, it is considered a retractile testis, and no further treatment is needed. This phenomena usually disappears by puberty.

Maybe you can find some more detailed answers to your question if you do the same?
Good Luck & to you and your son!