Urology Expert Forum
Unresolving Prostatic Pain

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Unresolving Prostatic Pain

I am a 27 years old. 2 months ago i had mild pain in my groin area and it seemed to come from my left testicle. After six days of not resolving on its own, i went to the hospital where they performed ultrasound and doppler of the testicles and found nothing unusual, but a "urine analysis" showed the following readings.
leukocyte esterase: 75 /uL
WBC: Numerous /HPF.  Everything else was negative (nitrite, RBC etc..)
So i decided to follow up with my urologist. He performed a digital rectal examination and said the prostate was mildly inflamed ( I also felt a strong burn in my penis as prostatic fluid came out). I told him i had unprotected sex around 2 months earlier.
He told me to have a "urine culture" and to start with doxycycline 100mg.
i started with the antibiotics right away and did the a urine analysis and culture the next day. The results came as follows:
leukocyte esterase: negative /uL
WBC 2-4 /HPF
Culture: Negavtive - No Growth
Judging from the results he told me to stop the antibiotics. But what worried me is that i forgot to remind him that i already started the antibiotics a day before the tests, so i continued with the doxycycline for a few more days (8 days in total).
2 weeks later, i still had urgency urinating, a very mild burn, and i could still see semen in my urine, and as for the pain it would come every 3 or 4 days for few hours but with the same intensity as it started.
I was worried so I did a third test and the results were
Culture: No Bacterial Growth
Esterase: 10-25
WBCs: 8-10
I gave the results to my urologist, he requested a kidney and pelvic ultrasound. And said if the tests show nothing, it may be chronic pelvic pain?!
I havent done the tests yet. I have an appointment to do so in a few days. What i am worried about is that, did my doctor do a bad call by assuming there was no bacterial infection. How could i have chronic prostatitis at this age. Are there additional tests i can do?!
1 Comment
any update??