Urology Expert Forum
Urethra Irritation

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Urethra Irritation

About 2 weeks ago I started to experienced a stinging sensation after urinating, lasting about 10-20 seconds each time. In addition, my urethra would become bright red and somewhat 'swollen' at times, maybe once a week, going on for months. I saw a doctor and she could see some irritation of the urethra. They tested me for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, and a Urinalysis. All were negative and I was given yeast infection cream to relieve any irritation. About 1 week went by and I was still experiencing the pain after urinating, also, a cloudy-like discharge started to occur frequently and I had relative pain of the urethra. I went back to the doctor and she said once again that she thinks it is some kind of irritation/yeast/infection in that area (due to the negative tests). I have been given Phenazopyridine and was told to come back in a few days if I still have the discomfort. My symptoms seem very consistent with NGU, however the tests for both types came back negative.
Are there any, serious infections being over looked here? It just seems abnormal that such stinging and discharge would be still going with no diagnosis present. Also, should my partner be concerned with her health?
Thanks a lot!
I agree with the workup thus far, as infection needs to be ruled out.  

Testing the prostate should be done, with a prostatic massage that can express prostatic fluid to be sent for analysis and culture.

Obtaining a transrectal ultrasound could be done to exclude an abscess.

If infection has been ruled out, anatomical abnormalities can be considered - like a urethral stricture or polyp.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
I have a similar problem.

You may do many things :
1) Urinalysis - check for high WBC and/or RBC count which may indicate infection; check Ph (if it's lower than 6.0 it's indication of too acidic urine and potential of uric acid stones in kidney).
Put attention, that "normal" urinalysis may not always be normal. For example 1-4 WBC is within limits, yet it may indicate an infection. Let me know the results of Urinalysis - WBC count/RBC count and urine ph.

2) Make ultrasound of KUB (Kidney/Ureter/Bladder) for cysts and/or stones.

3) Make ultrasound of Scrotum/Prostate to detect any abnormalities (for example cysts, enlarged prostate).

Sometimes doctors are ignorant of such problems because they are not life-treatening. They get consulation fees and get rid of you as fast as possible. There are myriads of tests they could prescribe to find out what's your problem, yet they prefer to ignore.

You may perform Urine Culture first, but PCR should be much more specific.

You may take empherically Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice a day for 7 days and see if your infection cleared.

Don't hesitate to contact me on ***@**** if you need more advise.
You may contact me at ryanspir(at)gmail.com. This robot deletes emails posted as I see.
A related discussion, Urethra Irritation was started.