Urology Community
Urethra growing closed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urethra growing closed?

My 18-month-old daughter recently had a traumatic experience with a UTI and a catheter. After running a fever for several days, not eating, and only wetting her diaper 2-3 times a day, I finally took her into her pediatrician. The doctor tested her blood, and everything came back normal. She looked in her eyes, ear, nose, and mouth, and could not find any problems. She then asked if she could catheritize my daughter in order to get a urine sample and check for a UTI. I gave her permission, so she sent a nurse in to take care of it. After 2 attempts by 2 different nurses, the doctor came in to do it herself. My daughter was of course in pain and crying. The doctor was able to force the catheter into my daghter's urethra, but she caused trauma to it while doing so. She told me afterwards that the catheter she ended up forcing through was meant for newborn babies, so she shouldn't have had a problem getting it in. She said my daughter's urethra opening was the size of a pin head. She also told me that my daughter did indeed have a UTI, which was probably caused from the fact that the urethra was too small to allow my daughter to urinate properly. She said the bladder was having to completely fill in order to create enough pressure for some urine to leak out. This procedure was very traumatic for my daughter; she still cries when I change her diaper. My question is this... what would cause my daughter to have this problem, and could it possible happe to her again?

Oh, she also had labial adhesion as a small infant, but after using the estrogen cream, we have had no further problems with it.

Thank you, Lori
I READ YOUR POST AND I'M NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND.  I'M SUFFERINGFROM URETHRAL SYMPTOMS SUCH AS LOW URINE FLOW AND DISCOMFORT AND DR. RECOMMENDED ESTROGEN CREAM DOES THAT REALLY WORK WHAT DOES IT DO FOR THE URETHRA CAN YOU HELP ME?