Urology Community
Urethral Itch and Prostate symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urethral Itch and Prostate symptoms

Hey all,

I found this article on the web in one of the expert forums. It goes into quite a bit of details, I cannot vouch for how correct they are, so if there is any doc here, they could verify.

the information sounds very correct and might be of help to one and all. This is an answer to a person called Mike who's question was this :

Hello!
Thank you for your time, Im mike, a 15 year old male from Ohio.

I tried to massage the prostate because I read it was the male G-spot. However, now it feels as I'm constipated and it  hurts a bit too. Sometimes it tingles, but it behaves as a mosquito bite, the feeling numbs for a few second if I touch it but then the feel increases. It gives a constipated feel and it doesn't go away.  I have had a bit trouble with going to the bathroom aswell. I don't have any urination problems,              or anything like that. How can I make this itch/pain go away?
What can my problem be?

Thanks!
/Mike

and the answer was :

the most common cause of these complaints is an inflammation of the prostate gland, so called prostatitis.  Incidentally, it is very difficult to massage your own prostate efficiently by yourself and should not be attempted by anyone who does not know the proper technique.  Symptoms that might occur with prostatitis include frequency of urination, slowing of the urinary stream, burning with voiding or ejaculation, burning in the penile tip unrelated to voiding, urethral discharge, sexual dysfunction (such as difficulty with erection), aching in the penis, testicles, and discomfort in the lower abdomen, low back, groin, rectum or perineum (the area between the scrotum and rectum – between the “wind and the rain”) & constipation. The passage of blood at the initiation or termination of urination or in the semen can also be noted.  During sexual arousal the prostate gland manufactures fluid that accounts for about 2/3 of the volume of ejaculate.  The seminal vesicles are paired structures located behind the prostate gland that also manufacture fluid.  Sperm from the testicles (which account for only 1-2% of the semen) travel up a series of tubes (epididymis and vas deferens) on each side to join the seminal vesicles forming the paired ejaculatory ducts. These structures empty into the prostatic portion of the urethra. At the time of ejaculation, fluid is discharged into the urethra (urinary canal) from the prostate gland and ejaculatory ducts forming the semen.  The semen volume is in the 2-6 cc range.     It is not uncommon for inflammation and/or infection to spread in a retrograde manner into the vas and epididymis.  Even without such spread, prostatic discomfort is often referred into the testicle.  Too frequent or too infrequent ejaculation, sexual arousal without ejaculation, withdraw at the time of ejaculation, aggressive bike or horse back riding, and excessive spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine in the diet can predispose you to this.  Sitting for long periods of time, especially in an automotive vehicle, can put undo pressure on the prostate and aggravate the condition.  For the latter, it is best not to sit more than 2-3 hours at a time.  Stop the vehicle periodically, take a short walk and go to the bathroom to urinate.  A thick pad or piece of sponge rubber on your seat will also help to cushion the prostate.  One should avoid any of the above that apply.  Eliminating all of these factors that apply to you are just as important, if not more so, than taking medication!  Ejaculation beyond the tolerance of the prostate to fill and empty may also cause discomfort.  Likewise if one does so infrequently, fluid still builds up from thoughts, dreams, fantasies, etc. and has to be released periodically to decompress the gland and relieve the symptoms.  For most men, ejaculation in moderation, perhaps 1-2 times a week, is reasonable.  A daily warm bath for 10-15 minutes 1-2 times daily also lessens the discomfort.  Attention to sexual activity and warm bathes should be utilized regardless of the type of prostatitis and whether or not medications are prescribed.
There are several types of prostatitis.  Sometimes prostatitis can be due to an infection of the gland with bacteria.  This usually requires an initial 4 week course of an appropriate antibiotic (the commonest prescribed are the fluoroquinolones, but tetracyclines, sulfas and other agents can also work).  Typically, pus cells and bacteria are found in the prostatic fluid.  

Abacterial prostatitis has several varieties.  In one, the prostatic fluid demonstrates pus cells but no bacteria.  In the other, called prostadynia, there are neither pus cells nor bacteria in the fluid, just the symptoms.  In all types of prostatitis, the urinalysis generally is normal unless the infection spreads into the bladder.   Abacterial prostatitis usually responds to the general measures mentioned above.  Medications that sometimes help include the over-the-counter natural supplement saw palmetto 320 mgm daily and alpha-blockers (such as Flomax, Hytrin, Cardura & Uroxatral).  The latter require a prescription from you physician if he thinks it is indicated.  Prostatitis may also be classified as acute (severe), subacute (mild), or asymptomatic.  It may also occur as a single episode, be recurrent or chronic.  

In cases refractory to treatment, there is another condition that can produce similar symptoms. This disorder is ejaculatory duct obstruction. Usually the   doctor will find the seminal vesicles to be very swollen on rectal examination. The patient will notice either absence or a markedly diminished semen volume. The diagnosis is made by doing a transrectal ultrasound of the prostate and seminal vesicles.

Therefore, if symptoms persist, consultation with a urologist should be scheduled.  In cases with recurrent prostatitis or hematuria, it sometimes is necessary to study the urinary tract more completely.  A man should learn to listen to his body.  Good luck.

This discussion is related to Itching in urethra.