Urology Expert Forum
Urethral Polyps
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Urethral Polyps

Dear Doctor:

In January of 2006 I started to have symptoms of a urine infection, but every culture showed no signs of infection.  I had a CT scan to rule out kidney stones, and it was negative.  I saw a urologist, and we have thought that I have interstitial cystitis.  I did not do a Cysto/Hydro, but I did have a cystoscopy in the office where the urologist said she saw urethral polyps, but that they were not the type of polyps that are removed, but are treated with long term antibiotics.  So I was given Macrobid, and Urised.  I did this for three months and have seen no improvement.  Can you explain more about these types of polyps because I still don't understand quite what this is.  My symptoms are mostly frequency, and hesitancy, and urethral burning.  I was prematurely menopausal at the age of 36 and I am now 42 and have taken HRT therapy on and off.  Right now I'm off of HRT.
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
I agree with the testing thus far.

Urethral polyps are relatively rare, and they are mainly caused by congenital conditions.  It can indeed lead to UTIs, as well as obstruction and hematuria.  

I am not a urologist, and cannot comment on polyps that are normally treated with long-term antibiotics.  

Obtaining another urological opinion can be considered to be sure that a surgical procedure is not an option.  

Testing the urine for infection can be done to target antimicrobial therapy.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers