Urology Expert Forum
Urethral Spasm
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Urethral Spasm

I suffer from significant urethral spasm.  Had urethral dilation under local anaesthetic about a year ago and felt that my symptoms worsened afterwards.  Spasm has become progressively worse and is almost unbearable from mid cycle up to menustration. Urologist is now suggesting random medications for detrusol over activity. I have sought 2nd opinion and he - like me agrees that treatment for overactive detrusol is unlikely to help as I do not have any of the symptoms that would normally be associated with detrusol over activity. Capacity, frequencey and emptying of bladder all normal.  Urodynamics study essentially normal aside from some evidence of detrusol spasm that could be related to a reaction to the procedure itself - given the absence of symptoms normally. 2nd opinion - is suggesting that there may be some merit in undergoing dilation under general anaesthetic and cauterizing nerves if inflammation is observed. I have been reading as much as I can on the treatment of spasms. I am a bit weary of cauterizing as an option (due to my lack of knowledge).  My question really is whether urethral dilation could possibly be more successful under general anaesthetic.  I was thinking of going for this option again and then going on a strong course of anti inflammatory directly afterwards.  I get some mild relief from nurofen plus.  Any ideas?  Many thanks.