Urology Community
Urinary Issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urinary Issues

I recently have developed a problem where I have a constant dull ache in my bladder area. It also tends to be painful when emptying bladder. Now I went and bought a tube of 10 parameter test strips and have been getting some weird results. Now the key things are that I have been having a high specific gravity and occasionally (like when I take it to the dr) I will get either blood or a non-hemolyzed trace. My girlfriend recently went through an issue and the dr did a full test screen for std and found nothing, later just settled on a uti and a lingering kidney stone; so I'm assuming it's not an std (I was clean a year ago, and if she's clean I assume the same). Now I've never gotten leukocytes or nitrates positives so I doubt it's a UTI, and I too have had issues with kidney stones in the past but haven't had one for a while. As I've said that when I go to the dr. he seems to think that I'm making it up and that the blood is just due to my kidney stones, but I don't know if that can happen.

Just wondering if anyone out there has ever had any symptoms like that or any info on anything that I can try.  Thanks!

PS - My girlfriend gave me some I think it's called AZO and it takes care of the problem temporarily.
Avatar dr m tn
One possibility for your symptoms is of interstitial cystitis. It is characterized by pain or uncomfortable sensation associated with urination (dysuria), urinary frequency, urgency, and pressure in the bladder and/or pelvis. The exact cause is not known but suggested but unproven factors that may contribute to interstitial cystitis include an autoimmune reaction, heredity, infection or allergy. You need to get a urologic examination , complete urine examination, potassium sensitivity test and if need arises cystoscopy done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing