Urology Community
Urinary Retention after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urinary Retention after surgery

I had Surgery in Jan. 2011 and had a foley cath inserted for 2 days.  After removal have had problems urinating and had to straight cath for at least a month, then intermittently.  It is now July 2011 and still have problems emptying bladder, have to strain and push to empty bladder. What should my next step be, Urologolist?  

I have had this problem in the past also, had Hysterectomy due to Cervical Cancer in 1992 and had a foley cath in for 5 days and had to straight cath for quite a while after this.  Also was never able to completely empty bladder and had to strain.

Before the above surgeries and foley cath insertions I never experienced any bladder problems.  Is there any medication that would relax the bladder to encourage easier voiding?

Joanne Warren