Urology Community
Urinary Tract Discomfort

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urinary Tract Discomfort

For years no, decades, I have had an on an off problem where if I don't drink water often enough, eat spicy foods or too many sweets, eventually I wind up with horrible burning and discomfort.  It takes DAYS of drinking gallons of water to finally put the fire out.

It has felt so bad this time, like always, I get a UA done to make sure there is no infection.  The day I left the specimen, it was very clear amber due to my drinking lots of water that morning.  I felt better yesterday, yet still draggy and no energy, but the burning was better, about gone.  Now today it seems not quite as good.  I didn't get the lab results back before the weekend, but I feel confident there will be no infection like the other times I've had irritation.  I wonder if there is such a thing as a hypersensitive urinary tract?  If so, I have it big time!    Every time this is like this, it makes me feel bad all over.  I guess when the prostate is irritated, being a gland, it can affect how you feel all over.  I hope I can get over this.  I am still drinking lots of water.

My questions are is there such a thing as a hypersensitive urinary tract and prostate?  And 2. What can be done to improve this.  A certain vitamin or mineral?  Saw Palmetto?  Lots of Vitamin D?  I am low on Vit. D and for sure, my hormone level is low according to recent tests.

Thanks so much.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There is no hypersensitive prostate gland but your symptoms can be due to recurrent UTI. Recurrent urine infections could be due to various reasons. Most common cause is stones in kidney which is blocking urine pathway. Other causes are changing sexual partners frequently, pregnancy, diabetes and of course childhood infections. The urine can also be due to retention of urine anywhere in its flow due t obstruction. The obstruction can be due to abnormality of structures since birth, stones or diseases like tumors.

So you should get a ultrasound, CT scan done and also some urine and blood tests.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Hello, Dr. Singh-

Thanks so much for your response.

I seem to still have some discomfort, but may be slightly better as I write.  I'm taking in all the water I can hold.   In a glass, my urine appears very clear and normal.  I seem to be emptying fine and don't feel anything that might be an obstruction, but I do agree that I should be scanned and checked.  I've never had a cystoscope ran either.  I do really well until I stop drinking enough water, too much spicy foods, sweets, then I am in trouble.

I saw a urologist back in '09 with this similar problem.  He did use a portable ultrasound, and everything checked okay.  All he would say is "Well tell it not to hurt!"  Not very good "help" from him, which is shocking as he is one of the better ones in our city!

No problems with sex partners since my wife passed away in Dec. of '09.  No sex partners at all.

Thanks again so much.