Urology Community
Urinary incontinence after removal of Foley catheter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

On January 12th, I had a radical abdominal hysterectomy with lymph node dissection, due to stage Ib1 cervical cancer.  A foley cath was inserted during surgery and remained for 4 days. During that time I had a UTI that was treated with anti-biotics. After day 4, the cath was removed and I was able to urinate, but in the end, I retained too much urine and the cath was re-inserted. A few days later, I noticed leaking urine when using the bathroom for a BM, even though the cath was still in and draining my bladder well. Then, one night - I think it was day 10 - I had the strong urge to urinate, even though the cath still drained well. I called my surgeon and was told to remove the cath and come to the office the next morning. I was able to urinate with some coaxing and slept well that night. The next morning, I visited the doc's office, where I was made to void again and then a nurse inserted another cath to drain and measure the remainder. My urethra was very sore and swollen.... I had less than 50ml retaining and was sent home without any  further need for a cath. Now, I'm suffering from frequent urges to urinate - probably every 30 minutes or so, but can sometimes, if I'm occupied, stretch it to 1 hour. (At night, it's a little better and I may get 2 hours between bathroom visits.) The stream is light and it takes me a while to empty, sometimes stopping and then starting again. More often then now, after I think I am done and have made about 10 steps away form the toilet, I have some more leakage, even without straining. It's never a lot, but I feel wet, for a minute after this happens. (I'm currently using poise pads.) What can I do to stop this leakage? Is this par for the course after a hysterectomy and 10 days of wearing a foley? I'm thinking of retraining my bladder, 4 weeks post-op, once the abdominal pain is much more under control.... but wonder if this leakage will still happen. (FYI: I'm a former RN.)