Urology Community
Urinary incontinence after removal of Foley catheter
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Urinary incontinence after removal of Foley catheter

On January 12th, I had a radical abdominal hysterectomy with lymph node dissection, due to stage Ib1 cervical cancer.  A foley cath was inserted during surgery and remained for 4 days. During that time I had a UTI that was treated with anti-biotics. After day 4, the cath was removed and I was able to urinate, but in the end, I retained too much urine and the cath was re-inserted. A few days later, I noticed leaking urine when using the bathroom for a BM, even though the cath was still in and draining my bladder well. Then, one night - I think it was day 10 - I had the strong urge to urinate, even though the cath still drained well. I called my surgeon and was told to remove the cath and come to the office the next morning. I was able to urinate with some coaxing and slept well that night. The next morning, I visited the doc's office, where I was made to void again and then a nurse inserted another cath to drain and measure the remainder. My urethra was very sore and swollen.... I had less than 50ml retaining and was sent home without any  further need for a cath. Now, I'm suffering from frequent urges to urinate - probably every 30 minutes or so, but can sometimes, if I'm occupied, stretch it to 1 hour. (At night, it's a little better and I may get 2 hours between bathroom visits.) The stream is light and it takes me a while to empty, sometimes stopping and then starting again. More often then now, after I think I am done and have made about 10 steps away form the toilet, I have some more leakage, even without straining. It's never a lot, but I feel wet, for a minute after this happens. (I'm currently using poise pads.) What can I do to stop this leakage? Is this par for the course after a hysterectomy and 10 days of wearing a foley? I'm thinking of retraining my bladder, 4 weeks post-op, once the abdominal pain is much more under control.... but wonder if this leakage will still happen. (FYI: I'm a former RN.)