Urology Community
Urinary incontinence

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urinary incontinence

I'm a 32 year old, non-smoker, straight male that started having symptoms 5 weeks ago of urine leakage, weak stream, and the near-constant urge to urinate.  The leakage was minimal and only during the day as it didn't cause me to have accidents or wake up during the night.  In the mornings, I didn't have the urge to urinate and had to force myself to start after waiting for a few minutes.  This lasted about 10 days before I saw my local doctor.  The urine sample came back normal but I was prescribed Bactrim.  The symptoms cleared up within a day or two and I felt normal while I was taking the Bactrim.  After finishing the prescription, the symptoms returned within 16 hours of taking the last pill, though not as severe as before taking the Bactrim.  A week ago, I returned to my local doctor.  They used the urine sample from this visit for a culture for the next 2 days.  If something was found from this sample, I was going to be prescribed Cipro but it again came back normal.  Instead, I was sent for an x-ray & ultrasound, which both came back normal, as well.  I was instructed to drink plenty of clear fluids this week and if symptoms persist until the end of the week, the next step would likely be consulting with a urologist.  I have no history of previous bladder/urinary problems at all.

What could be causing this if my urine samples, x-rays, & ultrasound are all normal?  Since nothing was found, should I be more worried or less worried about the possible causes?  Since my symptoms lessened after taking the Bactrim (2 pills per day for 10 days), would a longer dosage help get rid of the symptoms for good?  What about Cipro instead?
Frequent urge of urination in adults can be due to many causes. The primary cause which needs to be excluded is diabetes. If dibetes is ruled out then other possibilities which need to be ruled out are prostatitis(inflammation of the prostate gland),interstitial cystitis,overactive bladder syndrome,stroke and other neurological diseases,urinary incontinence,bladder cancer(rare) and bladder dysfunction .

Please consult a urologist in that case.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.