Urinary problems after appendectomy
Hi there,

I'm a 28 year old male who has always been in good health until 2 months ago I began getting severe stomach pains which lasted a week, after which I went to the doctor and was sent for a CT scan which revealed acute appendicitis and a "slightly enlarged prostate". The same day I was admitted to hospital and had a laproscopic appendectomy performed. I was released and after a week of recovery went back to work and thought I was on the mend and recovering well.

However after three weeks I started having urinary problems, where there was a frequent urge to urinate but little output, stomach bloating and extreme discomfort. After another week of doctors appointments to pin down what the problem was, including urine tests which revealed no abnormalities or infection, I was sent for an ultrasound which revealed "very early dystrophic calcification of the prostate" but an "estimated prostate volume of 21cc which is not enlarged" and that the "post voiding residue of 30cc is larger than average." Nothing more was detected.
My doctor put me on antibiotics - Doxylin 100 (2 a day) and Alprim (1 a day) for 2 weeks which didn't seem to do much. Now he has put me on Nufloxib (norfloxacin) for a week. In the past 2 weeks I've also started developing a dull stinging in my groin.
I am really at my wits end and not sure what to do and am getting no answers. Any help appreciated, I really don't know what to do.

David
The symptoms that you are having seem to be related to prostatitis. Prostatitis can be Bacterial and abacterial and acute (sudden and short period) and chronic (carrying on for long time) types. The usual presentation is pain at the base of the tip of the penis and also to the base. It can also be associated with pain after passing of urine, a feeling of incomplete evacuation of the bladder and a need to go to pass urine very often though with little or no urine.

A culture of the expressed prostatic secretions (EPS) can help in ruling out or confirming the diagnosis. A test named as Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test can also help as PSA is raised in Prostatis. An Urologist can diagnose the condition by digital examination. Also he can suggest you the needed treatment.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.