Urology Community
Urinating Blood

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urinating Blood

I’m a 28/F/No health concerns. On Saturday evening went to urinate everything was fine, a few minutes later felt like had to urinate again really badly. Went to the bathroom but instead of urine urinated blood. Gross Hematuria, bright red blood that was accompanied by burning pain. A few second later felt that had to urinate badly and once again urinated blood, no urine just bright red blood that was accompanied by burning pain. The whole evening felt the need to urinate and the whole time urinated blood. Used some vaginal creams to numb the pain and the feeling of having to urinate. In total urinated blood 8 times. No back pain or abdominal pain. Just burning pain during urination and a few seconds after.
On Sunday everything was fine. Went to the Gynecologist on Monday took a urine sample, a smear, and a ultrasound. The doctor said that I have a small cyst but nothing serious and could not cause the bleeding.  Expected a UTI and gave medication. A week later the tests came back clear, no blood in urine, no UTI or STDs.    
Just worried as to what could have caused the bleeding. Do I need to have my kidneys checked or get a CT scan?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Blood in the urine can present in one of two ways: gross hematuria (blood that you can see in the urine), and microscopic hematuria (blood that is only seen when the urine is examined under a microscope). Both types can have serious causes. If you are passing different-shaped clots in your stream, they could represent bleeding from the urethra. Clots can be wormlike, and if associated with pain it could represent clots coming from your ureters(tubes from your kidneys to your bladder).

When the blood in the urine is at the beginning of urination, it most likely comes from the urethra, (the tube from the bladder to the outside). Blood throughout urination is most likely from the bladder or kidneys or ureters (the tubes connecting the kidneys and the bladder).

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, IVP, Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Wow--those are my symptoms almost exactly (without the clots). Have you had any luck finding the cause?