Urology Expert Forum
Urine retention

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Urine retention
mel
Starting about 2 years ago, I began having difficulty urinating at times, usually once a day.  Basically, I couldn't go when I had to go and had to hold the fluid in for a while before I could finally go.  I mentioned this to my gynecologist about 8 months ago, and she suggested that I drink more fluids and see what happens, since I wasn't the kind of person who drank 8 glasses of water a day.  This actually helped and my problem of retaining urine only occurred about once a month.  During this time, I was not sexually active.  However, I got married a month ago, and after the honeymoon, I began to have problems 3-4 times a day.  My symptoms were kind of similar to a UTI, but not quite.  I was tested anyway and came out negative.  Things calmed down sexually too, so after a week, I only had retention problems once a day every couple days. I went to a urologist and he said it sounded like I had overactive bladder and prescribed Detrol.  I am having more problems now and kind of think that he misunderstood and misdiagnosed me.  Overactive bladder does not make any sense to me.  I am not incontinent in any way.  I just can't go when I need to.  Any kind of sexual activity seems to perturb the problem, and even if I don't feel like I need to go before sex, activity brings on the sensation of having to go.  Any ideas on what could be causing this and how it can be treated?
Dear Mel,
I think you need to see a urologist who can do a history and physical and pay close attention to a possible urethral diverticulum.  I don
0
0
0
Jo
0
0
0