Urology Community
Urine sediment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urine sediment

Several days after my son was diagnosed with acute renal failure, his urine output increased and he began to have a large excretion of white sandy like sediment in his catheter bag.  My son has since died.  I am interested in finding out what that sediment might have been.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Ma'am,
How are you? I'm sorry to hear about your son.
Urine sediment is the part of the urine that contains the cells and other solid materials such as casts, crystals, and organisms. It is obtained by spinning fresh urine in a centrifuge. Viewing it under a microscope is an important part of examining for signs of kidney disease. Examination of the urine sediment are valuable in characterizing the cause of acute renal failure. The crystals in the urine are the result of various salts or dissolved minerals, which get precipitated.  The salts, which normally pass out as solution, get accumulated when there is high concentration of the salts due to the improper functioning of the urinary system.

I hope this helps. Take care and regards.