Urology Community
Urine stream splits into two streams

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Urine stream splits into two streams

I've recently noticed that when I squat to pee that the stream of urine splits into two streams, almost making an inverted V. Since I'm squatting, sometimes one stream hits the toilet seat while the other is hitting the toilet.  Ugh!  I've also noticed that sometimes when I sit to pee that the stream actually goes a bit sideways and hits me in the butt or upper thigh.  Could this be from a kidney stone lodged in my urethra?  I've had multiple kidney stones over the years.  And every so often when I bend to pick something off the floor I have a bit of discomfort down there.  Any suggestions?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The common causes of split urine stream include congenital defects, scarring of the urethra due to STDs or other trauma, and prostatism.
  The first two groups of conditions can occur irrespective of gender, but, prostatism is specific to the male gender.
It is possible that the recurrent kidney stones may have scarred the urethra in passing and the scarring is resulting in a split stream.

It is possible that the scarring could be blocking the outlet causing the stream to split and deviate, thus causing the other discomfort.

Do follow up with an urologist regarding causes and courses of action.

Though a split stream is usually dismissed as a quirk, you can pursue further evaluation and resolution in view of the discomfort it is causing you.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
regards
Thank you, doctor.   I appreciate your insights and will think about visiting a urologist.  I guess I'm wondering what the urologist would do if there was scarring of the urethra that is blocking the outlet.  Can you answer that for me?  It would help me decide if I want to pursue this or just live with it.  Thank you again.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
In females, there are a few more causes for deviating, splitting, or blocked stream.
These include polyps, inflammation and cysts of Skene's glands, etc.

Most common treatment (surgical) of urethral strictures include:
"Urethral strictures are often treated by increasing the diameter of the channel either through dilation or endoscopic incision. Techniques such as direct vision internal urethrotomy (DVIU), are very successful for short strictures (less than two centimeters). Dilation performed under local anesthetic jelly utilizes a series of increasingly large tubes or dilators that are passed from the urethral opening into the bladder. The insertion of the dilators may be conducted under the guide of a urethroscope. Dilation produces some discomfort, usually made worse by tighter, dense strictures. The urologist may place a urethral catheter into the urethra 24 hours or longer after to drain the bladder."
www.urologyhealth.org/adult/index.cfm?cat=01&topic=32

I strongly believe that medical examination is required even if you may wish to avoid any intervention, just because it can rule out any other possibilities.

Regards.
I HAVE A BIG PENIS CAN IT BE THE CAUSE?PLS HELP ME IT DOES'NT SOUND FUNNY GUYS
I know this is a late response, but yes, having a big penis will make your urine flow to split. I have the same problem and I know for sure there is nothing wrong with my penis. It is just because the gland is "meaty" and it needs a lot of fluid (urine) to force it to completely open. There is nothing dangerous about his, only the fact that (in my case) I chose to urinate sitting down in order to avoid making a mess and having to wipe out the toilet every time I pee. (Urinal is perfect! No issues)