Urology 1st App what to expect
Hi I have posted on here before but not really had much of a response, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

I have had blood, wbc and protein in my urine for the past 6 months and a dull aching pain in my right flank.  I have had 6 lots of antibiotics and ultrasound of my pelvis have come back clear - although it was only a 5/10 minute appointment!! (Yes i timed it!!)

So now I have to go to the urologist - what can I expect????  and can anyone shed any light on what may be causing these symtoms??  A uti has been ruled out (except for the last course of antibiotics).  
I also forgot to mention that I have been tested for STD's and that was also clear.

if you will see this urologist for the first time, they will most likely obtain any medical information and symptoms that you may experience. From that the urologist will decide as to what tests or infestigation that you require.

The first appointment will most likely be short and no major medical procedures will take place.

I just recently had been referred to a different urologist by the one who had provided care for me for several years.
My first appointment took about 5 minutes or less, he had allready decided to put me through a CAT scan and a cystoscopy. Something that he could have told me over the phone.

My wife, family and I traveled about 400 km one way for just a 5 minute appointment. It sort of is an insult. I can no longer drive and therefore have to rely on my wife. This means that the children have to come as well.

As much as I think that this was unneeded to be done this way, I can understand that to remain objective he needs to get the information from me personally. He then uses the information from the other urologist to compair.

Good luck,

Ron

How are you? You may  expect to have a long discussion with your urologist  about your symptoms and  your complete personal and family medical history.  Physical examination including pelvic examination  and catheterization for a urine specimen may also be done. Generally other tests will also be necessary, and their need will be determined by your individual problem. They may include cystoscopy, a videourodynamic study, and x-ray studies. It is important to remember that these tests are not painful to undergo and aims to evaluate your problem in a single visit and send you home with a firm diagnosis and a plan for treatment.  It may also help if you bring previous laboratory results.

Take care and regards.
Hi and thanks for the replies.  It's good to know what to expect.

It's really getting to me now as I have had the symptoms for such a long time.  Only a few more days to wait and hopefully I will have a label as to what is wrong.

Has anyone else had something like this?? and could shed some light as to what could be the matter?

Thanks again.
i have herd of this happening before i think u need to see a specialist . blood and protien are in urine very faint. the case that i saw was on mystery diagnosis and i cant remember what it was but it was a disorder in one of the organs and it was not kidney or liver . what pisses me off they will not tell you that they cant figure it out so they send you to another one. your pain will get worse and to the point that staying in bed doubled over is all you can do . i just looked it up its episode 5 its called eating away you can probably watch it olnline , it may or may not be you exact symptoms but its  a true story and it took about a year or so to figure it out .i think that would be good info.
Hi there, thanks for the help.  I can't get to watch the programme you mentioned over here (I am in the UK) but thanks again for the help.

I don't now how the medical system works in the UK. I'm originally from the Netherlands, and came to Canada in 1981.

I have had numerous appointments with different urologist. Each time the first appointment was to give the urologist my medical history and current symptoms. Yes they might take a urine culture and blood.

I have had to be seen by urologists since I was about 23. If I have it correct the number of urologists is 7, and might even be 8. Never have I had any diagnostic tests performed during my first appointment.

I can recall my mom consulting with a urologist back in the Netherlands. After the second appointment she was hospitalized for about a week, During this time numerous tests were done, an from that it was determined that she needed surgery which was performed during this time as well. Here in Canada it is not the same.

God bless,

Ron
Hi and thanks for the help.

Were your symptoms similar to mine?  and what were you finally diagnosed with? (if I may ask)

Thanks again
Just to update everyone I have been to the urologist today and he thinks I may have a stone in my kidney, although my symptoms are not consistant with a kidney stone?

He wants me to have a CT scan (which I had done today) and a cytoscopy (which is booked for the end of Jan)

I still have all the same symptoms as before Blood 3+, wbc, loin pain and sickness.

Anyway, that's all for now.  I'll keep everyone updated is anyones' interested.

Thanks to those who replied.

Oh and a happy new year to everyone
Just an update to let you know I have now been and had my cytoscopy and guess what - nothing found!!!!!!

I am so fraustrated, I am still in pain and have all the same symptoms as before but the consultant doesn't want to see me for another SIX months??

So now what do I do and what could this be - it's driving me insane.  They don't know what it is.

Please, please anyone help???

How did you make out? I am having many of the same symptoms.