Urology Community
Uti and Menstruation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Uti and Menstruation

I religiously get a UTI 2-3 days after my Menstruation is finished. I have been having them for over a year now - every month.  I have tried to get rid of my Menstruation for a couple of months and then once I have my period I get my Uti back.  During my Menstruation I take a shower and rinse 3 times a day and change my kotex every 2 hours - I only use the pure cotton kotex pads. I don't use tampons.
I am drinking plenty of fluids. I only drink alcohol moderately and 1 cup of coffee a day. I do see a urologist.  I have been all of the antibiotics for uti's and I am wondering what I am doing wrong?
I take probiotics - drink kombucha.
HELP!  Is there something that I am missing?  What is the correlation with my menstruation and uti's?
     How are you? There is no relation between UTI’s and menstruation. It could be due to lack of hygiene, menopause due to hormonal fluctuations, or vesico vaginal fistula. VVF is common to occur with surgical procedures, prolonged labor or violent rape. Combined vaginoscopy-cystoscopy can detect if VVF is present.
Consult a gynecologist for further assistance.
Best.
I am not wanting to contradict the doctor...he is right in that your cycles themselves are not causing the UTI's

however, according to my URO who treats many with chronic cystitis, women often find an increase in UTI symptoms with their cycles.  Physicians are learning, it is not something your doing wrong...(sounds like your trying very hard as I did), but instead basically a biofilm infection can invade the bladder lining.  Dr. Hultgren has come out with recent research on this, "rethinking UTI's", in it he explains it is not a new infection but a continual infection that flares up with cycles etc.

You mention being on all kind of antibiotics etc. are you put on the only for during your cycle or continually for some time?

It is also possible that you do not have an infection at all but may have the symptoms esp. early symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis, For many of us, our cycles classically flare symptoms.  The biggest difference being that with IC the Urine test is usually clear. (Though it is not unusual to have WBC.)

Now chronic infection does not always show on dips sticks but if you are showing infection on a urine dipstick they I would think your more then likely have chronic cystitis.  Either way there are treatment options. If you want to pm me I would be glad to point you in the direction of some resources that might help!

Shelly Matthewson
Private Researcher
IC Support Group Leader
Director of MOARK IC
I too have the urine/bladder trouble after menstral.  My urine culture is clear every time.  Years ago it showed bacteria and anti-biotic helps...I take anti biotic and its gone.  If I don't use Charmin bath tissue, I get infections and i'm thinking my pads I use during cycle are causing irritation.  I will get the more expensive kind in future and see if that helps.  
I have been diagnosed with IC.  But, I too get UTI's following my period-My period stopped yesterday and my urine is cloudy today and I have the tale-tale pain.  My urologist said there was a correlation between my cycle and UTI's-the hormonal imbalances and the bacteria the UT can be exposed to during menses leads to it.....I had started wondering if there was a correlation and brought it up during my last visit with him.  I believe I am also pre-menopausal-so my periods aren't as regular as they once were.  He gave me several anti-biotic refills for "just in case".
hello, I also have the same problem, I have an UTI every month, on the 2.-3 day of my menstrual cycle. it is not a problem of hygiene. I had two C- section, no natural birth, my bladder was perforated at the first C-section. but it was 8 years ago and my problem became regular since one year. do You have any helpful idea? it is very big problem for me.