Varicocele
hey

i am 19 yrs old Ive been diagnosed with a varicocele on my left side of the scrotum.  if i have the surgery to repair the varicocele:

1) will there be a problem with me having kids or will i completely heal and be able to have kids??

2) will i still be able to drink alcohol after i completely heal from the surgery?

3) will i be able to do the same intense sports i play like football basketball and weight lifting after i heal from the surgery??

4) can i masturbate right now how i have the varicocele or will that hurt the varicocele??

thanks
Hello pedro831,

Varicocele is an abnormal enlargement of the veins in the scrotum draining the testicles. Varicoceles may be managed with a scrotal support. However, if pain continues or if infertility or testicular atrophy results, the varicocele may need to be surgically ligated (tied off). Varicocelectomy, the surgical correction of a varicocele, is performed on an outpatient basis. The three most common approaches are inguinal (groin), retroperitoneal (abdominal), and infrainguinal/subinguinal (below the groin). Various other techniques may be used. Ice packs should be kept to the area for the first 24 hours after surgery to reduce swelling. Scrotal support should be continued for some time after the surgery. Do not mastrubate till complete healing and also avoid alcohol as far as possible. Moreover, surgery would do more good than harm irrespective of the age.

Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varicocele

Best
Im thirteen an i have what you have i dont no what to do it has gotten bad my testical is get small it weird.an i still get it fixed and have my testical get back to size
i am 18.. have had a varicocele in my left testicle for about 6 years now.. it hangs lower than my right testicle.. i have had laparoscopic surgery a month ago, the swelling is very slightly better,, will the veins ever get smaller?? will it ever look like a normal testicle if i give it time ? is there another surgery i can do to make it look betteR ?
      How are you? Swelling in the scrotum after varicocelectomy is common. It takes 3-4 weeks time for everything to settle. If you have severe pain, bleeding and infection you need to see your doctor for physical examination.
In case there is recurrence of varicocele after surgery then embolization is the best choice of treatment.
Best.