Urology Community
Vesicovaginal fistula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Vesicovaginal fistula

I am getting ready to have a vesicovaginal fistula repaired. I will have to use a catheter for several weeks and have a stent in place. I jus wondered if anyone else has had this experience and how it turned out.

This discussion is related to Vesicovaginal Fistulas.
I am writing back to my own post just to let other people know who are going through the same thing how it turned out. I am one week post op for the fistula repair and am doing quite well. ,The worst news I have had is that the catheter and stent have to remain in place for 4 weeks. As for pain, it mostly only hurts when I have a bowel movement or when my bladder spasms. This is due to the cathether. I have been pleasantly surprised by how little pain I have experienced. It has been nothing compared to the actual hysterectomy. I will continue to post updates as I go along. I hope this helps anyone who is dealing with this horrible problem. I have yet to find anyone else who has had a vesicovaginal fistula and am hoping this proves helpful to anyone else who has been unable to find support while suffering from this condition. Know that you are not alone.
Hi i have also been through the repair for a vesico vaginal fistula.  I am 5wks post op and go in next week for a cyctogram to see if i can have the catheters removed, at which point i will be 6wks post op. I have also found the recovery similar to your self. and i can't wait until i can have the two catheters removed.
Mary I am having this repair in about 5 days..I am so scared and yes this helps...a fistula is rare and it is hard to gain support because of this...Thank you for caring enough to share...God Bless You...